Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
My biggest issue is CREEPERS. Creeping forward a foot or two I don't know if your making a move or just waiting for me to pass. And you see them looking down at a cell phone.WTF.

Reactions: KCW

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
My biggest issue is CREEPERS. ....WTF.
When I pass someone that is waiting to turn left across my path, or waiting to pull out of a side street, and they politely wait longer than they really needed to, I wave as I go buy to say 'thanks'.

And when someone pulling out of a side street start creeping up, or pulling out before I get there, I point at them "Bad dog! SIT STAY!"

Positive and negative feedback: both work.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I have to drive on I-40 and there is a part of I-40 where cars merge on the right and then it splits into I-40 and I-85 bus on the left and cars try to make it to the left lane which makes it very bad considering all those sleepy zombies on their phones not bothering to check mirrors/blind spots and/or using blinkers. That part of I-40 is called the Death Valley...
I-40 has consistently been one of the worst sections of highway I've ridden on during the past 25 years and the whole stretch between Greensboro and Hillsboro is dangerous.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I-40 has consistently been one of the worst sections of highway I've ridden on during the past 25 years and the whole stretch between Greensboro and Hillsboro is dangerous.

thats weird, I95 south from Petersburg VA all the way down thru NC is one of the best highways I have been on, since I rode on the Autobahn in Germany.

I dont know how they constructed that section of I95, but it is flat and it is smooth - they must use some equipment that controls the pitch of the pavement for 100 feet in both directions, because at 75 mph in my Fusion, its like Im sitting still in a parking lot. The car does not bounce or thump or tilt unless you go over a small bridge over a creek. Also there is no tire noise, all I hear is the wind.

Highway engineers in NY state could learn alot from their brethren in North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I-95 from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD is an absolute nightmare as far as traffic goes. I cannot comment of quality while riding the bike. I have only ridden it from Richmond, VA to Fredericksburg, VA on it. It was raining and in the evening. My concentration was on being able to see the eff-tards around me and not get run-over. Not on quality of roadway.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I also flash my high beams on and off when I come upon someone that might turn in front of me. Every time.

Reactions: compjan

·
Registered
360 Posts
Freaking morons and dumbasses everywhere. When did 90 mph become the new normal? Jackasses!

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
I also flash my high beams on and off when I come upon someone that might turn in front of me. Every time.
really?!

where I live flashing your lights at someone is telling them to go ahead, you will back off and let them have the right of way.

I do this in my car all the time - lots of streets with only 2 lanes on my normal commute, and if someone is trying to turn left they are holding up all the cars behind them. If there is enough room I let off the gas and blink them thru.

About 9 out of 10 drivers understand it and go. Its that 10th person that just sits there as I s l o w l y drive pass them, they dont understand what it means.

Is this not a thing in california? Is it completely different there, because I have been doing this for the last 40 years.

I never blink anyone thru while riding my MC. I dont want people to think its OK to turn infront of a motorcycle, ever. If Im riding in a congested area and I want people to see me, sometimes I will turn my high beams on, and keep them on, till traffic clears out a few miles down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I agee with KCW and Keith. If you want them to see you better the MSF course should have taught you to wiggle the bike.. I flick mine back and forth a few times.

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
really?!

where I live flashing your lights at someone is telling them to go ahead, you will back off and let them have the right of way.

I do this in my car all the time - lots of streets with only 2 lanes on my normal commute, and if someone is trying to turn left they are holding up all the cars behind them. If there is enough room I let off the gas and blink them thru.

About 9 out of 10 drivers understand it and go. Its that 10th person that just sits there as I s l o w l y drive pass them, they dont understand what it means.

Is this not a thing in california? Is it completely different there, because I have been doing this for the last 40 years.

I never blink anyone thru while riding my MC. I dont want people to think its OK to turn infront of a motorcycle, ever. If Im riding in a congested area and I want people to see me, sometimes I will turn my high beams on, and keep them on, till traffic clears out a few miles down the road.
I don’t know about flashing for turns, but I’ve always rapidly flashed oncoming cars to let them know that a “bear” is ahead running radar. I can see most people will wave an acknowledgement or briefly flash back at me. You can watch them slow down.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have been thinking of getting a summer jacket, after being caught on a 200 mile ride with my windshield on the bike and baking like a potato in the sun.

I thought something white or hi vis. Have not been able to find one locally, but grabbed a hi-vis muscle shirt (X large) yesterday for $4 to wear over my regular mesh jacket.

Timing was perfect - my ride this morning was in dense fog all the way to work.

I know the pull-over shirt is working, because my handlebars and all the chrome on the front of my bike is glowing yellow (reflected back at me).

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
..rapidly flashed oncoming cars to let them know that a “bear” is ahead ...
flashing your lights at on coming traffic in general means there is danger ahead, use caution - slow down: accident, deer on the shoulder, debris in road, cops on quota patrol...

there's a whole set of hand signals for motorcycle riders:

cop ahead - pat the top of your helmet - goes back to when cop cars had gumball machine lights on the roof

deer ahead - hold left hand up like antlers next to your helmet

debris in road - point at the ground - for riders following you point at the side where the debris is

slow it down (danger ahead) hold your hand flat, palm down, make a patting motion "easy bro.. easy...."

there are more, for group rides - plenty of websites for this...

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
..rapidly flashed oncoming cars to let them know that a “bear” is ahead ...
flashing your lights at on coming traffic in general means there is danger ahead, use caution - slow down: accident, deer on the shoulder, debris in road, cops on quota patrol...

there's a whole set of hand signals for motorcycle riders:

cop ahead - pat the top of your helmet - goes back to when cop cars had gumball machine lights on the roof

deer ahead - hold left hand up like antlers next to your helmet

debris in road - point at the ground - for riders following you point at the side where the debris is

slow it down (danger ahead) hold your hand flat, palm down, make a patting motion "easy bro.. easy...."

there are more, for group rides - plenty of websites for this...
I know the ones for riders. I thought we were talking about cages? Most of them don’t know bike hand signals.
I was only warning about radar as a courtesy.

·
Registered
909 Posts
thats weird, I95 south from Petersburg VA all the way down thru NC is one of the best highways I have been on, since I rode on the Autobahn in Germany.

I dont know how they constructed that section of I95, but it is flat and it is smooth - they must use some equipment that controls the pitch of the pavement for 100 feet in both directions, because at 75 mph in my Fusion, its like Im sitting still in a parking lot. The car does not bounce or thump or tilt unless you go over a small bridge over a creek. Also there is no tire noise, all I hear is the wind.

Highway engineers in NY state could learn alot from their brethren in North Carolina.
The idiots who use I40 on a daily basis apparently don't use I95 or the Autobahn.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
really?!

I've never heard of this. I just want their attention nobody I have flashed have pulled in front of me. I know about flashing truckers with their turn signals on to go ahead and come into the lane in front of you. But I think it's way different on the left coast.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Had two near misses today

took a road trip, almost 200 miles there and back.

On the ride back I was on a 4 lane 45mph road in the suburbs, looking for a good street to jog over about 5 block to get on a parallel street.

Going thru an intersection with another 4 lane street I was Mr Swivel head, making sure no cars were coming on the cross street, no one was turning, trying to catch the name of the street as I passed it (poorly placed street signs)...

Just as I got thru the intersection I looked ahead - there were two cars infront of me stopped dead. I could feel the adrenaline flood thru my bloodstream as I got on the brakes and came to a stop, then I looked in the mirror to see if I was about to get pancaked into the stopped cars.

In this rare case, its not so much that the other drivers were crazy, just that the other side of an intersection is a very dangerous place for someone to stop in the middle of the street. The driver was turning into a gas station, and the driveway was blocked - so he stopped short, and the car behind him stopped even faster. Since I was behind the 2nd car I could not see the turn signal on the front car, and had no indication that someone was about to turn or stop.

Ive had this happen before when stopped at a red light, light turns green, several cars start pulling thru, and suddenly one of them is turning into a driveway on the other side of the intersection. You get so distracted making sure you are not going to get t boned crossing the intersection that you dont expect everyone to suddenly stop on the other side.

It was a long ride after that - when you body has been pumped full of adrenaline, it takes a while for it to dissipate, and it sucks a lot of energy out of you.

The other near miss - I was a few miles from home - had to make a left turn thru an intersection. There was a car coming the other way turning left too... stopped under the light and waiting for traffic. There was no traffic behind him so I was clear to turn.

Just as Im slipping the clutch and starting to move, the guy infront of me decides he doesnt want to turn anymore, and takes off straight, with his turn signal still blinking. Half a second later and I would have been in front of his path and run over.

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
I had a close call the other day too. My wife and I went for about a 150 mile cruise on some nice 2 lane roads, 80 kmh (50mph) speed limit and we were following some traffic but things were flowing well. Then I saw brake lights in front of me. There were no driveways along that stretch and no reason for anyone to be stopping and as I started slowing down I realized the car in front of us was coming to a complete stop. A glance in the mirror really got my adrenlin pumping when I saw a half ton bearing down on us. I was braking hard at that point, trying to aim for the narrow dirt shoulder as there was oncoming traffic. Luckily the truck behind us got slowed down and as my front tire came to a stop on the shoulder I saw why the car was stopping.

There were three baby raccoons sitting on the shoulder and they stopped in the middle of the highway to take a f&%$#@ picture! Idiots!

·
Banned
2,819 Posts
I had a close call the other day too. My wife and I went for about a 150 mile cruise on some nice 2 lane roads, 80 kmh (50mph) speed limit and we were following some traffic but things were flowing well. Then I saw brake lights in front of me. There were no driveways along that stretch and no reason for anyone to be stopping and as I started slowing down I realized the car in front of us was coming to a complete stop. A glance in the mirror really got my adrenlin pumping when I saw a half ton bearing down on us. I was braking hard at that point, trying to aim for the narrow dirt shoulder as there was oncoming traffic. Luckily the truck behind us got slowed down and as my front tire came to a stop on the shoulder I saw why the car was stopping.

There were three baby raccoons sitting on the shoulder and they stopped in the middle of the highway to take a f&%$#@ picture! Idiots!
Wow! Proof that you can’t fix stupid. They’re gonna risk their own & others lives for something a dumb as that? Unbelievable!

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
Wow! Proof that you can’t fix stupid. They’re gonna risk their own & others lives for something a dumb as that? Unbelievable!
It was highway to a national park - lots of tourists and he had an out of province plate. Brings up the question, if it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

81 - 100 of 127 Posts