Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at work thieves cut the catalytic converters out of 5 of our vans. Red dots in picture show where the vans were parked. The parking lot is pretty well lite but it didn't take the long. Camera shows 4 suspects, occurred at 1:34am and took them 20 minutes. The catalytic converters retail for $1400 each. Cops said there were several businesses that have been hit the past few days. Waayyy to much paper work to document lost.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A lot of our drivers drive large Ford workhorses. A Ford f59 with a purolater sized body added.
It has 2 massive catalytic converters on it.
One long weekend a few years ago thieves broke into a fenced yard and cut off the converters from 12 Van's.

Thousands of dollars per truck. The head office had a fit and now the yard is remotely monitored.

Gotta hate thieves.

·
Super Moderator
2,273 Posts
We had rash off fuel thefts a few years ago. I tried to steal once. Eugene and I went down to Foodland and made the decision to steal a KitKat I would distract the manager and he would take the candy. I was not good at distracting and he was not good at stealing. The manager called my Grandmother and we felt the wrath of Grandma. Haven't even been tempted since. 1968.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
We had a rash of those thefts a while ago. You’d think they would be harder to steal , but with a sawzall you can make quick work of them. The methheads around here will steal flies from a blind spider. I propose that all fleet vehicles be plugged into a 220 outlet every night on the lot, that way the thieves could be positively identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Several years ago we had a rash of that happening here
What is the metal that's inside? Can't remember what it is but I bet the price on it has spiked recently.

The bad part is that you can cut one off with a sawzall in no time.
I believe they use platinum, which is why they're so expensive.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Like @Yamaha Pat I also am a former thief. I took a few grapes from the grocery store when I was there with my mom. She marched me right up to the service desk and made me pay for them. When we got home Mom and Dad were having a converstaion and I guess it was about me and my behavior because they kept looking over at me. It was policy in our family to get your name added to the family paddle with etchings made as to how many paddling 's you got after your first offense.. so after my name got engraved on the paddle I decided a life of crime did not seem worth it so I reformed...after my a$$ stopped hurtin... Oh the padding's kept coming but no more for stealing...but back to the subject at hand... I have heard of it happening also. They had somebody on tape in our lot years ago. 34 seconds to get under the SUV, saw it off with a saws-all and on their way.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,551 Posts
We had a rash of those thefts a while ago. You’d think they would be harder to steal , but with a sawzall you can make quick work of them. The methheads around here will steal flies from a blind spider. I propose that all fleet vehicles be plugged into a 220 outlet every night on the lot, that way the thieves could be positively identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While that may sound funny and. A great idea, there was a story of a guy who did just that in a way. His house kept getting robbed so he booby trapped it and the guy died and HE got charged with murder.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
... propose that all fleet vehicles be plugged into a 220 outlet every night on the lot, that way the thieves could be positively identified.
2160VAC is what is used on electric chairs

but all that would be left is about 20 lbs of carbon ash.... looks like a bear to me....

several years ago two people jumped the fence on a snowy night at a power utility substation
one tried to cut the copper wire off the primary side of a transmission line level mega watt transformer
all that was left of him was black soot

there were two sets of footprints in the snow, where they walked up to the fence side by side

and one set of foot prints leaving, each step was about 7 feet apart

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
A friend I ride with works for AT&T and they had a similar scenario happen to them. Their trucks were hit (4 or 5) and when they came into the yard in the AM to start the trucks and go to work, the sound was real loud. A lot of service calls were delayed that week. Video didn't help at all. Sucks.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
927 Posts
We had rash off fuel thefts a few years ago. I tried to steal once. Eugene and I went down to Foodland and made the decision to steal a KitKat I would distract the manager and he would take the candy. I was not good at distracting and he was not good at stealing. The manager called my Grandmother and we felt the wrath of Grandma. Haven't even been tempted since. 1968.
That's a very good story.
Put me in mind of Jimmy Buffett's MiniMart caper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts