Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm not new, some of you may remember me, but its been 2 years since I have been active. It's good to see the old scavenger hunt thread still going. I figured I would post in the newbie section just to reacquaint myself to the forum again.

2 years ago I had just purchased a 2012 Roadie, and had an 09 950. I have since sold both. I was not happy with the power of the Road Star. It was a fine bike, very comfortable and everything, but there was nothing there when I would crack the throttle. My wife had advanced to the 950 from her white 650 and one sweet summer day I told her to "get on it" when a red light changed. The 950 walked off from the Roadie. I couldn't believe it (well, I could honestly, because every time any of my buddies got throttle happy I was struggling to keep up). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 1700, it was just bone stock. The 950 only had a rush slip on, but power to weight ratio was apparently much better. I got kinda tired of being made fun of (all in good fun of course) for having the slowest bike of my group. So, I bought a 2003 Honda VTX 1800 retro with a pc3, v&h big shots, and high flow air. Lets just say I'm not the slowest any more 馃榿. Actually, I am now the fastest. Go figure huh? Anyway, I bought the VTX in Sept of 19 and sold the Roadie the following spring for a couple of hundred more than I had paid. Then I started cruising the Honda forums, and honestly, just kinda forgot about this place. Yes I still had the 950, but it was so trouble free that I didnt need any advice or help with it.....for a while anyway.

The 950 is a financially painful story. I purchased that bike back in 16 for something like $4500. Great bike, got my money's worth out of it for years. Then, just this past August, it started doing a weird engine vibration almost felt like clutch slipping thing. To make a long story short, my wife tells me she wants something different now anyway. Something she could take cross country but not too big (more on that in a min). Ok, so I tell her we will fix whats wrong with it and either sell or trade in. As it turned out, ALL THE DRIVE COMPONENTS needed replaced. Yep, new front pulley, rear sprocket and new belt. 1200 bucks later(and thats with me buying my own parts) its fixed. Then I find out how much trade in is for a 2009 950 馃槶. I tried selling it on fb marketplace for months, no bites, not even a nibble. At the same time I had been looking for the next bike for my wife. We found something just a couple of weeks ago that she fell in love with, a 2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe with a corbin trunk in blue. It was at a local dealer, so we traded in the 950 for only $2400! Oh well, happy wife happy life right? Now, I'm on a search for a 30 pin bluetooth connector for the Deluxe stereo, and google led me back here. I know about the coolstream carpro, but $70 seems too pricey to me so I'm looking for other options. I'm pleasantly surprised my account still works, and I plan to stick around now that I'm back. This was always a great forum and has great people in it. (I apologize for my long windedness, but those of you that remember me may recall I always was long winded anyway 馃ぃ)

Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Welcome back. Good to see you posting again. Still a great group here. Yea, the crazy ones like me are still around. We still have a blast with the scavenger hunt.

Premium Member
Hey guys! I'm not new, some of you may remember me, but its been 2 years since I have been active. It's good to see the old scavenger hunt thread still going. I figured I would post in the newbie section just to reacquaint myself to the forum again.

2 years ago I had just purchased a 2012 Roadie, and had an 09 950. I have since sold both. I was not happy with the power of the Road Star. It was a fine bike, very comfortable and everything, but there was nothing there when I would crack the throttle. My wife had advanced to the 950 from her white 650 and one sweet summer day I told her to "get on it" when a red light changed. The 950 walked off from the Roadie. I couldn't believe it (well, I could honestly, because every time any of my buddies got throttle happy I was struggling to keep up). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 1700, it was just bone stock. The 950 only had a rush slip on, but power to weight ratio was apparently much better. I got kinda tired of being made fun of (all in good fun of course) for having the slowest bike of my group. So, I bought a 2003 Honda VTX 1800 retro with a pc3, v&h big shots, and high flow air. Lets just say I'm not the slowest any more 馃榿. Actually, I am now the fastest. Go figure huh? Anyway, I bought the VTX in Sept of 19 and sold the Roadie the following spring for a couple of hundred more than I had paid. Then I started cruising the Honda forums, and honestly, just kinda forgot about this place. Yes I still had the 950, but it was so trouble free that I didnt need any advice or help with it.....for a while anyway.

The 950 is a financially painful story. I purchased that bike back in 16 for something like $4500. Great bike, got my money's worth out of it for years. Then, just this past August, it started doing a weird engine vibration almost felt like clutch slipping thing. To make a long story short, my wife tells me she wants something different now anyway. Something she could take cross country but not too big (more on that in a min). Ok, so I tell her we will fix whats wrong with it and either sell or trade in. As it turned out, ALL THE DRIVE COMPONENTS needed replaced. Yep, new front pulley, rear sprocket and new belt. 1200 bucks later(and thats with me buying my own parts) its fixed. Then I find out how much trade in is for a 2009 950 馃槶. I tried selling it on fb marketplace for months, no bites, not even a nibble. At the same time I had been looking for the next bike for my wife. We found something just a couple of weeks ago that she fell in love with, a 2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe with a corbin trunk in blue. It was at a local dealer, so we traded in the 950 for only $2400! Oh well, happy wife happy life right? Now, I'm on a search for a 30 pin bluetooth connector for the Deluxe stereo, and google led me back here. I know about the coolstream carpro, but $70 seems too pricey to me so I'm looking for other options. I'm pleasantly surprised my account still works, and I plan to stick around now that I'm back. This was always a great forum and has great people in it. (I apologize for my long windedness, but those of you that remember me may recall I always was long winded anyway 馃ぃ)
Where are the pictures? Most of us newbies in here like pictures. :) ;)

Registered
Welcome back good to hear you are good. I did have an 1800VTX as well but i downsized to the 1100 classic. Had mine for 10 years. I just love the classic look of the vstar. I never had any problems with the 1800. 33000 miles if pure joy. I did belong to VTX cafe. The people here are so good even if i changed brands i would stick around.

Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
Hello @blueblitz09 and welcome back from Virginia. Tell her wife to join too. We need adult supervision at times...

Super Moderator
Welcome back!
I remember you and we talked about the 950鈥檚 every now and then.
I鈥檓 surprised about your RoadStar, mine is completely stock though. Had it dyno鈥檇 this past summer, 70hp and 126ft lbs of torque. Not too quick off the line but it鈥檚 keeps pulling at 85 plus which is good enough.
Sorry to hear about your 950, mine has been flawless since I鈥檝e owned it.
Great to have you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Welcome back, from the FL panhandle. I guess I'm one of the things that changed. I wasn't here the last time you were.

Registered
Welcome back from Columbus, OH! I also have a 950....now I have somethings to look at while the snow is flying...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts