Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying another bike, but this one would be a larger one for highway cruising.
The background of this thinking is that as I am getting old and realistically thinking that I might have about 10 to 15 more years of riding, I would like to purchase a larger bike than I currently have (a 950).
Because of this thought, I have went to local places and have found 6 bikes that I am currently thinking about buying one. The choices are:
1. A 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe with 15,055 miles
2. A 2006 Stratoliner S with 15,264 miles
3. A 2005 Roadstar 1700 with 26,831 miles
4. A 2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad Kawasaki with 24,074 miles
5. A 2012 Vulcan 1700 Voyager Kawasaki with 1,808 miles
6. A 2008 Vulcan 1600 Nomad Kawasaki with 13,057 miles

As a note, all the bikes are really excellent condition and are priced according to the NADA book. The reason for the above bikes is because they have few miles and by the time I get done riding in 15 years, I will have put quite a few miles on it. Also, I am partial to the Yamaha and Kawasaki brands.

So, if it was you, which bike would you purchase?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
the RoadStar was on my list of bikes I was looking at, with the Royal Star and the FJR1300

I found a great deal on a well maintained Royal Star, $2500, 22k miles, all it needed was a front tire. The Royal Star is a shaft drive, water cooled V4 with no known issues.
I grabbed it more as a matter of opportunity than any great preference.

The only issue with the Roadstar is something with the output shaft pulley being able to work itself loose. There was a recall on early years, the issue is pretty well resolved, but its still something that you have to keep an eye on (torque the bolt/nut from time to time).

They are all great bikes, your list and mine. For me its always come down to finding a well maintained bike at a great price.

BTW, the one thing you need to be aware of, a bike that is 200 lbs heavier than you are riding now is going to be a noticeable difference when riding slow, and parking, moving the bike around (esp duck walking it backwards out of a parking spot even slightly uphill). I dropped my Royal Star looking everywhere but where I was going, while making a U turn on a pseudo gravelly road. The crash bar protected the bike and me perfectly. Ive never dropped my 650 (in 30 k miles)

Riding at speed the bike will handle like a dream - no issues there. On the highway at 75mph the difference between my 650 and 1300 is well worth having two bikes.

Get a crash bar.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
All are good bikes. Condition and which one did you turn around to take a second look is the right one. I've always liked the chrome styling of the Strat S. As KCW stated remember the weight difference. I made a similar switch last year. Now the extra weight isn't noticed, but did catch me off guard a few times in the beginning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been leaning towards the Stratoliner S, the Deluxe and the Vulcan 1700 Voyager. I really like the looks of those bikes and how they feel doing some city maneuvers. I think any one of the above 3 bikes will cruise easier than the 950 is doing.
While test driving them, I noticed the difference in the weight of the bikes, the braking is different as well as handling. But I think with some practicing, I will get use to it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Me personally I've been wanting a Voyager as well, just the way they look and feel, reminds me of an old model hot rod.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have been leaning towards the Stratoliner S, the Deluxe and the Vulcan 1700 Voyager. I really like the looks of those bikes and how they feel doing some city maneuvers. I think any one of the above 3 bikes will cruise easier than the 950 is doing.
While test driving them, I noticed the difference in the weight of the bikes, the braking is different as well as handling. But I think with some practicing, I will get use to it.
If you’re considering the 1700 Vulcan, have you rode the new SVTC? The weight is very deceptive in that the center of gravity is very low, thus you don’t feel the weight AND slow speed handling is excellent, not to mention comfort & amenities. Handling is very nimble too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am really leaning towards the Vulcan 1600 & 1700 line, but I have come across a 2006 Stratoliner S and a 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe that I need to go look at.
Its such a hard decision. I like the feel of both the Stratoliner and the Vulcan for separate reasons. I wish I knew someone who owned one of each and then I could borrow it for about 1/2 a day for a long ride to determine which one will be it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
The last couple of new cars I purchased, I rented from Enterprise for a week before buying the car from a dealer.

I wish there was someway to do that with motorcycles. You really need more than a few hours on a bike to decide if it suits you. When I got my Royal Star I took it on a 5 mile test ride. Going from my VS650 to a 1300 V4 my biggest goal was to not drop it, or slam into someone, so that entire test ride I was puttering and lugging it the whole time. I had already decided that I wanted a Royal Star, a Road Star, or an FJR1300, so the test ride wasnt really to evaluate the bike, but just to make sure it ran ok, was not knocking, the brakes were not grabbing, the wheels were not falling off... I knew as long as it was basically in good shape, I could make it run like new again if I had to.

It wasnt until I had it for about a week, had run a tank full of fresh gas with seafoam to clear out the carbs, and got out on the highway for 40 miles till I really felt comfortable to even crank the throttle WFO and let those 74 horses run.

The flip side of this is that Yamaha bikes are all great - they all run well, they all have good power for their size completely stock, and I think any Vstar bike you get you will love and never be able to get the smile off your face, unless you buy one that was buggered up by the previous owner and is not running like it was designed to run.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am really leaning towards the Vulcan 1600 & 1700 line, but I have come across a 2006 Stratoliner S and a 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe that I need to go look at.
Its such a hard decision. I like the feel of both the Stratoliner and the Vulcan for separate reasons. I wish I knew someone who owned one of each and then I could borrow it for about 1/2 a day for a long ride to determine which one will be it.
If you’ve got someone willing to lend you their bike for 1/2 a day while you ride, they must be a REALLY CLOSE friend!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only REALLY good close friend is my son, who owns a 2013 Street Glide HD. I would prefer to not own a HD, so I am not going to borrow his bike, but I am still hoping to borrow a Stratoliner.
I agree with KCW that Yamaha bikes are great. I have a 950 and have drove it hard and fast during the past 3 years and it has held up extremely well and I want to get a larger bike so I do not ruin it. I have narrowed my choice down to either a Kawasaki or a Yamaha either the Stratoliner or Vulcan. I have talked to quite a few individuals and motorcycle dealers and they told me that the larger bikes of Yamaha and Kawasaki are highly sought after because of the quality of handling and reliability. Because of this, I think that when I see and feel the bike that I like, I will end up buying it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
the only thing I regret about buying the Royal Star is the same regret I have about my 650

I waited way too long to buy them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have made a decision!!!!!! I have found a completely red 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe with 15,055 miles. They are asking $9200 for it and I have talked to them about needing to come down on the price a little.
My question is, being a 5 year old bike with few miles, should I be concerned about that? I really do not want it to breakdown on me when I am riding.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
$9200 is dealer price for that bike, assuming its been fully gone over, new tires, inspected, and some kind of warranty

3k miles a year for 5 years is normal for a regular rider in Kansas... nothing to worry about there.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
$9200 is dealer price for that bike, assuming its been fully gone over, new tires, inspected, and some kind of warranty

3k miles a year for 5 years is normal for a regular rider in Kansas... nothing to worry about there.
I would agree with KCW on this one. Sounds like a great bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts