Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I have an 09 RS S and thinking about a windshield. What is the smallest I can get that still works well? I am 6'. School me and give me some insight on brands and sizes.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
For one, I do like the quick detachment type. I ride wirh the windshield on almost as much as I ride with it off.

One piece of good advice is:
You should be looking just over the top of your windshield while riding, not looking thru it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
For one, I do like the quick detachment type. I ride wirh the windshield on almost as much as I ride with it off.

One piece of good advice is:
You should be looking just over the top of your windshield while riding, not looking thru it.
Good tip Wart about looking over the top of the windshield, I too have been thinking of a windshield down the track as someone my size creates some wind resistance! Do you have any tips on size/type for my 98' 650. I'm around 6' 2" so I don't know whether I should go for the medium or large?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Good tip Wart about looking over the top of the windshield, I too have been thinking of a windshield down the track as someone my size creates some wind resistance! Do you have any tips on size/type for my 98' 650. I'm around 6' 2" so I don't know whether I should go for the medium or large?
Well Aussielad, having a windshield will just relocate the wind resistance a few feet in front of you but that reduces fatigue on you on long rides at highway speeds. I don't know of any chart that will give you the perfect windshield height. The lack of a chart is probably because of various seat heights, rake angles, rider height/leg length ratios, etc.. But all windshield heights are measured along a distance above the headlight cut. Sit on your bike in your normal riding position and measure the distance from the top of the headlight to a point level with tip of your nose. Of course a second person can do the measuring. With window shopping, I see that the shield itself has one price and that price will almost get doubled when you add in the cost of the mounting hardware. The excessive height of my factory windshield didn't concern me much as I knew I would chop the height down after I was sure of the height that suited me. So if unsure, go taller and modify.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well Aussielad, having a windshield will just relocate the wind resistance a few feet in front of you but that reduces fatigue on you on long rides at highway speeds. I don't know of any chart that will give you the perfect windshield height. The lack of a chart is probably because of various seat heights, rake angles, rider height/leg length ratios, etc.. But all windshield heights are measured along a distance above the headlight cut. Sit on your bike in your normal riding position and measure the distance from the top of the headlight to a point level with tip of your nose. Of course a second person can do the measuring. With window shopping, I see that the shield itself has one price and that price will almost get doubled when you add in the cost of the mounting hardware. The excessive height of my factory windshield didn't concern me much as I knew I would chop the height down after I was sure of the height that suited me. So if unsure, go taller and modify.
Thanks mate for the advice, just need to attend to the other mechanical matters and will then be seriously looking at getting a windshield. I will use the measurments mentioned to establish height and if still unsure go taller.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have to admit, now that it's a bit chilly, that I do miss my windshield. And as far as fatigue goes, it really helps with that when you are running at highway speeds. There are times on windy days that I feel like my arms might get popped out of socket at the shoulder. The good Lord knows that with my bulk, I trap plenty of wind on my own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ask yourself what do you want it for?
Looks?
Wind protection?
Is the wind protection just for your chest?
I picked up a small windscreen that looks great and keeps the wind off my chest.
It's all what YOU want it for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts