Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 03 1100 vstar with 18k miles on it. My wife has recently started to like riding with me. We are both of the “husky” side of the scale. 250 lbs and 220 lbs. I’m currently not having issues controlling or accelerating with the both of us on it. I’m just a little nervous thinking the bike is just too small for the both of us to make a 4hr trip to her parents. There is a 2008 roadstar with 32k miles on it down the road from me for sale. I can get the bike for 3.5k. I’m curious if it would be a smart move to make the switch or not. I would like too add some luggage bags to my vstar for storage. The road star is fully dressed. Am I just being too cautious about needing a new bike?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is just human nature to be looking for the next ride. What ever you do you will enjoy. As long as the wind is is your face.

·
Super Moderator
3,172 Posts
I also have an 1100 and my wife loves riding with me as well. The two of us are close to 400 lbs (I'm not giving the breakdown - lol) and I do find myself wanting a little more, especially at highway speeds. The 1100 is great solo, and I don't have any issues around town or on 50mph roads doubling either, other than needing a little more throttle on hills. But we want to start doing a little touring and with us and our luggage I think the 1100 would be working pretty hard, so a RoadStar is absolutely on my 'to-do' list when the budget allows. They're even more reliable than the VStars (believe it or not) and with only 32k on it, it's just broken in for those bikes. If I were in your shoes I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
If you are looking for a bigger bike the Roadstar is a great choice.

I think the 2008 is fuel injected, the earlier bikes have a one carb and the HP was only around...60? 65? Look into it.

If you want more guts under your right wrist check the specs for the bigger bikes. The water cooled Royal Star bikes might have more HP / torque. I think the VS1300 might be cranking out more power too.

Im looking to get a road star next summer - preferrably a naked bike that I will ride solo. My VS650 runs just fine on long trips on secondary roads, and I get 60mpg with it at 60mph.... But I just like the Road Star.

BTW, is that a 4 hour drive now in your car? Something to consider, if you are going to visit family pack all your clothes in a cardboard box a week ahead of time, and send it ahead UPS ground, and ship it back after your trip. There is no real need to carry everything on your bike if you are going to one place, esp if you are visiting family.

One other thing, for a 4hour ride the passenger needs a seat and backrest that looks like the drivers seat. Those little Maxi-pad seats they put on the back of some of these V star bikes are just for riding around town.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,569 Posts
This spring the wife and I took a three day 900 mile trip. Has a great time but found limitations on an 1100. Together wife and I are about 325 pounds. The saddle bags and sissy bar bag full. This made the bike a little top heavy but not to bad till I got on rhe interstate. In Texas unless you are doing 75 or 80 you get run over. At these speeds around other vehicles the bikes handling was terrible. At 70 is was good, that few extra mph made a big difference. I was having to concentrate on bike and not the experience. I was on freeway for about 3 hours going and returning. I would recommend what KCW suggested. I will do it next time. By the way, I do many day trips, 300 to 400 miles with wife, without added gear, and can cruise at 80+ all day long wuthout issues. Here is how bike was loaded.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
^ like your comments, the bag on the back of your bike makes me cringe...

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Yea, that much weight behind the tire is scary. No wonder it handled so bad. My wife put a luggage rack on her bike, but I load the bikes for trips, so her luggage always goes on the seat. I MIGHT put a small cooler on the luggage rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I’ll do a little more research on the bigger bikes. The vs 1300 deluxe looks goosd

·
Registered
175 Posts
I currently have a 03 1100 vstar with 18k miles on it. My wife has recently started to like riding with me. We are both of the “husky” side of the scale. 250 lbs and 220 lbs. I’m currently not having issues controlling or accelerating with the both of us on it. I’m just a little nervous thinking the bike is just too small for the both of us to make a 4hr trip to her parents. There is a 2008 roadstar with 32k miles on it down the road from me for sale. I can get the bike for 3.5k. I’m curious if it would be a smart move to make the switch or not. I would like too add some luggage bags to my vstar for storage. The road star is fully dressed. Am I just being too cautious about needing a new bike?
Wow....I would jump on the roadstar at that price. You can sell you 1100 V-Star for the same price.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,569 Posts
Yea, that much weight behind the tire is scary. No wonder it handled so bad. My wife put a luggage rack on her bike, but I load the bikes for trips, so her luggage always goes on the seat. I MIGHT put a small cooler on the luggage rack.
Actually the bag was not that full, it's just a big bag. Mainly took to have someplace to put clothes as we unlayered. It was 40 degrees when we left that morning. We ended up with a few sweatshirts, rain gear and toiletries. Probably less than 20 pounds. All the weight was in saddlebags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This spring the wife and I took a three day 900 mile trip. Has a great time but found limitations on an 1100. Together wife and I are about 325 pounds. The saddle bags and sissy bar bag full. This made the bike a little top heavy but not to bad till I got on rhe interstate. In Texas unless you are doing 75 or 80 you get run over. At these speeds around other vehicles the bikes handling was terrible. At 70 is was good, that few extra mph made a big difference. I was having to concentrate on bike and not the experience. I was on freeway for about 3 hours going and returning. I would recommend what KCW suggested. I will do it next time. By the way, I do many day trips, 300 to 400 miles with wife, without added gear, and can cruise at 80+ all day long wuthout issues. Here is how bike was loaded.
Nice looking bike, but I imagine that the tall bags on the back of the bike would make riding difficult at high speeds...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have a 2000 Road Star Silverado. It's horsepower is 62.6 hp (46.7 kW) @ 4,000 rpm & torque is 134 N·m (13.7 kgf·m, 99 ft·lbf) @ 2,250 rpm. I am a heavy set guy. And this bike hauls. I have not rode her with 2 up. Just me & maybe 40lbs of gear. And no issues!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts