Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic. (SOLD) 2006 Road Star 1700
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

I've been off the forum for a couple of months... did you miss me? LOL... Probably didn't even realize I wasn't here...:cry::cry::cry:

Anyway. I've been really enjoying my V Star for the past couple of months since I finished the build. I was always going to build another one with a new bike, preferably with FI and preferably with a bigger motor. I'm definitely selling this one, and probably going to pick up a Road Star. The Road Liner and Strat are awesome, but I don't think I like the lines on them for creating another stretched and "moderately big" wheel Bagger.

Just looking for some insight from all of you. I've looked at some of the new V Stars, but I don't know that I want to buy a newer of the same bike to build when I can just change the aesthetics of this one.

Plan on doing a 7" Down and 14" Back Bagger set, with a low tour pack. Probably only go with a 23" wheel, maaaaaayyyyybe a 26", but no bigger than that. Depending on how I do the lights and bars will determine if I put on an upper fairing. I think I want to go with a bigger stereo system, so I may need to go with the upper fairing anyway, we'll see.

If anyone is interested, I'll sell her to forum members for $5300. I have her listed everywhere else for $6000...hahaha

Sinister

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,052 Posts
Looking forward to following your next build. Please do detailed updates. Hopefully you will sell your bike soon and get started on your best one. For those not familiar with his bike:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've been off the forum for a couple of months... did you miss me? LOL
Uh who are you.....LMAO..........Yea I really want to build one more old school chopper, I would like to do it with a CBX, I think a 6 pipe chopper would be cool. I have done 4 cylinder, I have done V-twins. I don't want a Goldwing or BMW flat motor.
Keep us updated I like your builds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lesblank. I'm gonna have to spend a bit more change on this one. My first build was for the experience, so didn't put all the money in that I'll do for the next.

It looks like I'll be on the $5K range just for the wheel and bags...lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh who are you.....LMAO..........Yea I really want to build one more old school chopper, I would like to do it with a CBX, I think a 6 pipe chopper would be cool. I have done 4 cylinder, I have done V-twins. I don't want a Goldwing or BMW flat motor.
Keep us updated I like your builds.
That would be quite cool. Got a chopper too, but I didn't build it

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,137 Posts
Welcome back brother, I am not sure I understand what you are describing above, do you have a picture or drawing to share to give me an idea?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome back brother, I am not sure I understand what you are describing above, do you have a picture or drawing to share to give me an idea?
Thanks. You mean the bag diminensions? Sure, heres a pic of something similar...

These are Harleys, but the setup is similar. Don't want to go with too big a front wheelnso the rake and trail leave it rideable. This will not be a "trailer queen"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loved the last one!
Can't wait for the new one!
Thanks Hyde... looking forward to it. Trying to plan it out, both the overall look and the budget. Of course the design goes a long way into determining the budget...hahaha. I really like the true duals I build for this one and the fishtails are just cool, but I think I'm going to change it up this time so that when parked on the center stand, she sits on the ground. This one is close...lol... but she actually isn't low enough to use a center stand without doing the front air-ride.

I hope to get most of it done over the Winter if I can sell my current one and get a decent deal on another.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My classic is a 2001. Are you going to build another Yamaha or expanding into another breed? I personally like the injection idea. Had it on my 1800VTX and loved it.
I was looking at a Road Star, primarily because I'm now familiar with the Yamaha setup. That said, I literally just got home from looking at a VTX1800. 2002 with 21K on the clock. Been sitting for 2 years but in decent shape otherwise. Guy is asking $1500 only for it. I'm going to offer him a grand and see where we end up... lots of unknowns because it isn't running, been sitting for 2 years and didn't put fuel stabilizer in. Can't do a compression or leak-down test, so I'm going to go with the worst case scenario that I've gotta pull the motor apart. The price is still pretty good though, even at $1500.

Also, for the air ride, the Honda is way easier because of the direct access to the shocks in the back. Lots of work and really more expensive for the single air cylinder on the Yamaha.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I was looking at a Road Star, primarily because I'm now familiar with the Yamaha setup. That said, I literally just got home from looking at a VTX1800. 2002 with 21K on the clock. Been sitting for 2 years but in decent shape otherwise. Guy is asking $1500 only for it. I'm going to offer him a grand and see where we end up... lots of unknowns because it isn't running, been sitting for 2 years and didn't put fuel stabilizer in. Can't do a compression or leak-down test, so I'm going to go with the worst case scenario that I've gotta pull the motor apart. The price is still pretty good though, even at $1500.

Also, for the air ride, the Honda is way easier because of the direct access to the shocks in the back. Lots of work and really more expensive for the single air cylinder on the Yamaha.
The 105 hp would do you right. Was a lot of wasted on me. The bike if 805# dry. The center of gravity is better on the Yamaha but i am sure that will probably be the first thing you re-engineer. I really did like the integrated front/rear brakes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 105 hp would do you right. Was a lot of wasted on me. The bike if 805# dry. The center of gravity is better on the Yamaha but i am sure that will probably be the first thing you re-engineer. I really did like the integrated front/rear brakes.
Good points. Won't be able to do much with the center of gravity, especially if I put the tour pack on it... gonna keep it a bit high. I will put air-ride front and rear, so I'll be able to set the geometry a bit more to my liking. The bike is super wide, but she'll be sitting low anyway...hahahaha.

Only 105 from an 1800? That's pretty low. I'll have to do something about that. The 111ci S&S in my chopper is roughly 1835 cc if I remember correctly, but it's also a high compression motor. It puts out about 145 hp and 130 lbs of torque. That bike is nasty!

I just emailed the guy with the offer and even screenshots of parts costs. We'll see what he says.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Factory rated 105hp. If it makes any difference at all the frame rails are closer together than my vstar. It was easier to get on my jack. And the motor was 100% above the frame.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Factory rated 105hp. If it makes any difference at all the frame rails are closer together than my vstar. It was easier to get on my jack. And the motor was 100% above the frame.
That's huge. Getting my V Star on the jack is always a PITA.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Couple of pics on the jack. You can kind of get and idea. I used the floor jack to stabilize after i had it up'

101_2521.JPG
101_2523.JPG

If you have any questions on the vtx ask and i may be able to help. I do have a lot of pics of it in different stages

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couple of pics on the jack. You can kind of get and idea. I used the floor jack to stabilize after i had it up'

View attachment 99227 View attachment 99228

If you have any questions on the vtx ask and i may be able to help. I do have a lot of pics of it in different stages
Most excellent good Sir. We'll have to wait and see what he says to my offer...LOL...

Much obliged.

·
Super Moderator
7,548 Posts
Of course we’ve missed you, just figured you were busy in the garage working on your next project!
I like your idea for your next build, it inspires the rest of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts