Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only ever ridden a 650 as far as star cruisers go, but I found a 950 for sale locally.

Other than the obvious displacement differences, how do they compare from the ownership standpoint?

How do the rides differ?
Maintenance?
Insurance tends to be cheaper with a 650, but how about other costs?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never had the 650 but did own a 950 for several years. I sold it to a 650 rider and he loves it,, I loved the bike also. Had plenty of power and was a pleasure to drive.. Hope this helps the 950 is a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If you really like the 650, the 1100 is pretty much the same bike, with a bigger engine and bigger frame.

If you look at photos of both with no size reference, they look almost identical. There are a few difference, like the rear fender side rails, the cover over the battery compartment is a little different - but if you like your 650 the 1100 will feel very familiar. At the same time you will really notice the difference in ride and power.

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
the 950 will most likely be easier to maintain. no messing with carbs and jets since it is EFI. and if the 950 has any issues then it's most likely going to involve the belt drive, which can be prevented as long as you make sure that the belt tension is looser than factory specs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any "make sure to do this" type things with the 950? Like greasing the splines on the 650, or the "doohickey " and thermobob on the KLR650?

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
make sure the belt isn't too tight. Yamaha suggests 3-5mm of tension at 10lbs. which is too tight. closer to 7mm is better. pretty much just follow routine maintenance schedule. oil changes are easy to do yourself as long as you have a jack, nothing too difficult to get to. the 950 is one of the easiest production cruisers to keep on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts