Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,483 Posts
Same oil I've used for years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brothers :) First oil change, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been 13 months but only 3k on the oil the PO said he did (mobil 1 20-50 synth). Decided to change it so i have a truly known starting point.
but i was tempted to go the full 5K on the oil. What would you do?

·
10,483 Posts
I always change all fluids on newly purchased vehicles, that way I've got a fresh start on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used the Mobil 1 20W-50 for V-Twins when I changed the oil in my 650. Later in the year, when I picked up the Strat I used Lucas V Twin oil. It had slightly better numbers than the Mobil and was $1 a quart cheaper. Either way you'll be alright.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What's the manual spec for?
20 50 is usually for harley big v twins.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thicker viscosity doesn't necessarily mean it's better protection.
In fact it slows the rotating mass inside of the engine down and doesn't flow as freely.
I think it specs for 20/40.

·
10,483 Posts
From the manual, 20W50 is the correct oil.

·
Registered
853 Posts
From the manual, 20W50 is the correct oil.

View attachment 103548
Odd. Mine was an 02. Here's the spec.

●Engine oil type• Yamalube 4 (20W-40) or engine oil SAE 20W-40 (API SE) for temperatures of 5 °C (40 °F) or above.
• Yamalube 4 (10W-30) or engine oil SAE 10W-30 (API SE) for temperatures of 15 °C

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thicker viscosity doesn't necessarily mean it's better protection.
In fact it slows the rotating mass inside of the engine down and doesn't flow as freely.
I think it specs for 20/40.
I hear you, i usually go straight by the specs but i am in the valley in Arizona. Plus the valves on these bikes, or at least mine are fairly "chatterly" vs a vs Sewing machine. Valves were adusted by past owner a year ago and he swears it was done right he was very confident about that, said the job went well, he was sure etc. PO was/is a retired NY cop that retired here, plus i checked him out prior (due diligence), totally legit guy/family. Real nice neighborhood in Prescott AZ, homes going for 1+ million... He had an elevated reputation score, actually a few points higher than mine... Has other bikes, works on them, huge garage with all the right stuff. Still, I wonder if i should have them done just to make sure, like the oil.

I noticed a little more valve noise than my VTX, but then the V Star also has one more valve per cylinder. It's not super bad or anything, i just notice it. But i am getting used to it, the bike is a lot of fun. Plus the tall windshield reflects all the sound right at me.

So i didnt want to make it worse than it already is by switching to the 20-40.

·
10,483 Posts
@road_slug, you have a 1700 and previously a 650 if memory serves me correct, but I'm getting old. 🤣
@VStarArizona has a 1300.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I hear you, i usually go straight by the specs but i am in the valley in Arizona. Plus the valves on these bikes, or at least mine are fairly "chatterly" vs a vs Sewing machine. Valves were adusted by past owner a year ago and he swears it was done right he was very confident about that, said the job went well, he was sure etc. PO was/is a retired NY cop that retired here, plus i checked him out prior (due diligence), totally legit guy/family. Real nice neighborhood in Prescott AZ, homes going for 1+ million... He had an elevated reputation score, actually a few points higher than mine... Has other bikes, works on them, huge garage with all the right stuff. Still, I wonder if i should have them done just to make sure, like the oil.

I noticed a little more valve noise than my VTX, but then the V Star also has one more valve per cylinder. It's not super bad or anything, i just notice it. But i am getting used to it, the bike is a lot of fun. Plus the tall windshield reflects all the sound right at me.

So i didnt want to make it worse than it already is by switching to the 20-40.
I think Yamaha recommends adjusting the valves every other oil change. It probably won't hurt to do them again, if for nothing more than piece of mind.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Yamaha recommends adjusting the valves every other oil change. It probably won't hurt to do them again, if for nothing more than piece of mind.
It's only got 3000 miles since they were last done. Stock exhaust. You tell me, are these bikes a bit "sewing machines" to begin with? Again stock exhaust.

btw, bike runs great and gets good mileage. I figure they should be done every 10-20k.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
It's only got 3000 miles since they were last done. Stock exhaust. You tell me, are these bikes a bit "sewing machines" to begin with? Again stock exhaust.

btw, bike runs great and gets good mileage. I figure they should be done every 10-20k.
Well there is a clearance between the valve and the rocker so there will be some noise. I don't notice it on my '04 1100 but I'm about half deaf anyway.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
10,483 Posts
Manual calls for checking valves every 4000 miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts