Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Manual calls for checking valves every 4000 miles.

View attachment 103549
I better get used to doing it then. Never have done it myself, took the bike in. On my VT750 which i bought new, i had it done at 1K then again at 10K, then 20K, then sold.

VTX i bought with 10.5K then had it done at 20K. This bike i bought with 10.5K it was done at 7.5K.

I take it you guys do your own valve adjustments.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
From the manual, 20W50 is the correct oil.

View attachment 103548
Actually mine does call for 20W-40 in the owners manual, it's a 2008. Maybe it was changed for later years.

page 8 section 1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,501 Posts
Actually the oil spec I posted was from the 2006 repair manual. Never realized they changed the oil spec. Living in Houston with the high stress of stop and go traffic my engines always ran better with 20w50.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
81 Posts
Even when I buy a used bike from a dealer, I change the oil and check other criteria... you'd be surprised (or not) at some of the conditions a lot of these dealership 'mechanics' don't bother checking. On my first RoadStar, I test rode the bike while the salesman wrote up the paperwork. When I returned with the bike, I complained about it feeling like it had square wheels (the bike was on consignment, needed a new front tire due to 'cupping' but the owner wasn't going to spring for a new tire) . The salesman took the bike back to the garage for a few minutes, brought it back and told me to try riding it again. A world of difference! Tire pressure had been 18#- it's supposed to be 29#!. AFA oil is concerned, I've always used AMSOIL for V-Twins , either 10 w-40 or 20w- 30 (I think that's right, it's too cold to go out to the garage to check- this is Texas and we haven't had weather this cold for ages! (currently 27 degrees!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
It's been 13 months but only 3k on the oil the PO said he did (mobil 1 20-50 synth). Decided to change it so i have a truly known starting point.
but i was tempted to go the full 5K on the oil. What would you do?
Changed the Oil and filter today 2/20/21, Mobil 1 20w50, Yamaha Filter, 10,734 miles. Checked the Air filter, it was fine, couple of bugs but i could see thru it fine in the sun, blew it out with some air anyway.

When i bought the bike the sight-glass showed all oil, it was slighly overfilled but just enough so it was above the glass.
I made sure to do it right and i realize that just a few ounces over and it would cover the glass completely.
So i took care not to over fill, Filled with 3 quarts then looked and it was about half way up the glass, then added just a couple ounces at a time, about 3 times until it was just right. Started bike let it run for a couple minutes then shut-off and settle for 5 mins and checked again, added an oz or two, it was perfect with those two little marks. Nice and level.
it took about 3.5 quarts, just like they said in the manual.

While i do have the PDF owners manual, i have a hard copy owners manual in transit to me now from Partzilla, should get it Thursday with some other stuff. I like to keep the maintainence records on cut-out sheets of paper inside the manual, like i did with my last bike.

At 2 pm i took the bike out for a 72 mile ride all around the lake area, lots of bikes out, tons of waives. Bike is really fun to ride, trouble is i like to pass cages...😈 or any slow vehicles. Being saturday i knew it would be fairly crowded in the area so i told myself to take it easy, that lasted about 20 mins...lol Got home at 6 pm, it was getting dark.

A few pics of the bike today: (cheap phone pics, sorry)

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
581 Posts
Nice! I was guessing Arizona or nw Mexico. Then I seen your board name. LOL!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to live in Tucson, back in the early '60s, and visited a few times when I was stationed in San Diego, but didn't really go anywhere except local. This changed in 2017, when I rode my '07 RoadStar from Richardson, TX. to OKC and followed the old Route 66 /I 40 to the Arizona/California border (didn't cross, because I travel solo, and because of that (and other things) I carry concealed, and didn't want to risk violating the 'breakfast cereal state's unconstitutional gun laws). The beauty of the natural scenery and general lack of human fabrication was a calming joy to see. Unfortunately, the weather on that trip was hot and somewhat miserable, but the sights were fantastic. I didn't go much south of there because the daily temps were near triple digit (if I had wanted that, I would have stayed in Texas).
The following year, I repeated the route, spending more time enjoying some of the towns along the way, and, since, as I was told, "the monsoon season is late this year', enjoyed the dampened geology of the route. Dodging rainstorms shortened some of my travelling, especially when I discovered that my m/c boots, stamped 'waterproof', weren't, I ended up stopping sooner that day than I had planned on. As I left one town (several times) I'd look ahead, and if I could see dark clouds near or over the highway, would generally circle back and get a motel room. A few times, I just barely beat the storm to getting all my luggage into my room, experiencing a few power outages for the area. My only mechanical issues on this trip were that my fuel level sending unit failed, causing me to revert to the old ' reset the trip odometer and watch it to estimate when it was time to look for a gas station' , and the windshield on my fairing broke after hitting a 'not-seen-in-time' pothole shortly after leaving Kingman. I slowed down in the right-hand lane entering the foothills, hanging onto the pieces of the w/s, not wanting to get speared by the broken pieces, when an 18- wheeler passed me in the left-hand lane. No sooner did he pass me and pull back into the right-hand lane, than he threw a tread-'ROAD SNAKE! Seeing that thing squirming and thrashing around made me glad that I was going as slow as I was, because, if I'd been going faster, that thing might have caused me to crash.
Unfortunately, I was unable to take the trip a third year due to a no-speed accident with my RoadStar that dislocated my left shoulder, tore three of the four ligaments of my left rotator cuff, and had to wait almost a year to get surgery to get everything re-connected and replace my shoulder joint. Since then, I have acquired a 2015 XVS1300CT that looks a bit like yours, and I am looking forward to maybe travel out your direction with the smaller bike (I still have and ride, the RoadStar).

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
than he threw a tread-'ROAD SNAKE!
I've always heard them called Road Gators because when laying mostly flat on the road they do kind of resemble a gator waiting to bite you.
I have run over a live and kicking snake once a long time ago, I didn't see it on the road and hit it dead center of his back. Both ends swung up to bite, I think I had my legs up over the handle bars when I saw it start to strike... that left an impression that still haunts the back of my dreams - it was a big (3 or 4 foot) snake. I hate snakes.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always heard them called Road Gators because when laying mostly flat on the road they do kind of resemble a gator waiting to bite you.
I have run over a live and kicking snake once a long time ago, I didn't see it on the road and hit it dead center of his back. Both ends swung up to bite, I think I had my legs up over the handle bars when I saw it start to strike... that left an impression that still haunts the back of my dreams - it was a big (3 or 4 foot) snake. I hate snakes.
I know what you mean... when I was camping in the Chisos Mountains in the Big Bend Nat'l Park, I would wait until @ noon or so before I ventured out onto the roads in the park. That gave the rangers enough time to go around and dispose of all the rattlesnakes that had been hit by cars because they had crawled onto the road at night to enjoy the left over heat from the sun. My mon damn -near wrecked us one time when we went to the Pipe Organ Nat'l Park, when we were all younger. We we exiting the park at sundown, and when/if she saw a snake in the road, would swerve to miss it, fearing that it could (somehow) come up through the wheelwell of out VW bus, and bite us!

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff
21 - 31 of 31 Posts