Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Thoughts on an 1100

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  07midnightcustom 
#1 ·
So a local dealer got in a vstar 1100 think it's an 01. They want 4500 for with with 9,000 miles on it. Haven't seen it in person yet but it's got factory bags and windshield. Stock exhaust and seat which will suck over what I'm used too. Love my 650 but have entertained the idea of going bigger as i don't go touring or ne thing but do ride mainly highway at 70 or so. Was thinking bout offering my 650 on trade towards the 1100. Mines an 07 650 custom, memphis windshield,vance n hines exhaust and handfulls of other uogrades. Just wondering everyone's thoughts or inputs.

Reactions: Keith Post
#3 ·
I've been half looking. Only apeal of a dealer is i can trade mine vs having to sell it first. Mine has such low miles it would take a practically new bike to get me to go after it. I've seen what the 650s are going for and it'd get me a down payment at best. My truck's paid off in 2 months and i could easily save the money then pay cash for one next year but i get impatient and like shiny things, hence the 650. Lol

#5 ·
It is an 07 as well not an 01. Ya i know..i just hate selling stuff and dealing with people. Tho with tax returns i could shine mine up and over price it and just see how things go.

#6 ·
Just my 2 cents, but $4500 seems a little high for an 01. I'm in Canada, but I picked up a 2000 1100 Classic with 16,000 miles, basically untouched except for aftermarket saddle bags and a Switchblade quick release windshield, for $2500. Of course, that was a private sale and a dealer is naturally going to be a little higher. And this time of year prices are going to peak. Might work in your favor if you can get a good price for yours though.

#7 ·
go with a 950 or 950-T you'll be glad you did, too many issues with 1100s, mid shaft failures, starter clutch failures, plus the early ones have spoke wheels, the 950 doesn't have the ground clearance of an 1100, but all around it's more modern, even has electronic fuel injection for easy cold starts

#8 ·
I don't like the 950. Just something about it. They are nice tho. Plus i like my carburetors, lol. Even on the coldest mornings i give it full choke and it starts second or third revolution then by the time i get my jacket on and the tunes set up i kill the choke and take off. The mid shaft isnt a huge concern if checked ahead of time. Tho a 1300 would deluxe or a rstd would be more than acceptable. If i don't find an 1100 i like I'll probably condsider a volusia or c50T.

#9 ·
take your time and look for a good private deal. There are SO many people that buy a big bike like a 950 or 1100 new and hardly ride it at all.

For what you will pay a dealer for an 1100 you could get a bigger bike. And for what they will give you for your 650 you might as well just keep it or give it to someone you know.

I look at the MC on craigslist just to keep up, a 650 with reasonably low miles will get $2500 to $3000, its a great little bike with a big market. The 1100 not so much, just because its big and fast, and that scares away alot of riders.

So you are selling a bike that is easy to sell, and buying one that should be easy to find a great deal on.

Dont get me wrong, I got nothing against MC dealers or repair shops. I cant imagine anything cooler than being in a business with motorcycles everywhere you look. But you are going to pay them very well for the transaction.

#10 ·
Yeah the 650s are plentiful around here. Only looking dealer cuz i don't have the cash on hand without selling mine first. I've been looking at prices and mileage for both. I'm in no real hurry and don't need to upgrade, just looking for something bigger and going a different direction since most of my riding is highway and the daughter likes to ride with me. I've noticed the bigger metric bikes tend to sit a while at dealers around here. Going saturday to talk with them and see how things go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.