Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think that's why I hate to ride in the rain. :surprise:

And I think it's pretty pathetic that's there are two people and a bike laying on the side of the road and no one bothers stop and check on them but another rider. And here all this time I thought folks in the US were inconsiderate.
But seriously...they were both lucky in every aspect of that crash. From how they went down, to the slide, even down to where they stopped. Both of them and the bike off the shoulder out of the flow of traffic.
I'm curious about what the tread on his tires looks like? I myself didn't see any real obvious cause.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Had to be scary for the girl, she looked really shook up. I think they hydroplaned, it looked like a heavy stream of water running on the road and it sounded like the rpm's spiked as they went down. I do not think they were in the US but I could be wrong. Too bad, hate to see anyone go down.

LoupGarou

·
Registered
418 Posts
My first thought was hydroplaning also, especially since they were going straight. There could have been an oil slick, a foreign object or something else that we didn't see that kicked the tire out of track.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not sure what kind of thoughts you're looking for but mine is that that is the best high speed 2 up wash out, ever; both geared up, wet surface helped reduce friction, slid to a pretty darn nice stop all things considered.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I really avoid riding in the rain at all just because of such "it just happened" problems... Luckily, my riding is just for pleasure, no commuting or anything, so I basically have the luxury of just not going out if there's a chance fo rain...

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
My thoughts EXACTLY Casey, I do not ride in the rain. If I get caught > my bad. But the act of getting caught is avoided at all cost. To easy to loose it in a patch of oil laid down by a vehicle
and or over abundant rainfall which makes for very slick roads.

Best to not have to ride in the stuff. I have two other vehicles besides the vstar so it stays in the garage during fowl weather. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've seen several people post about how no cars/trucks stopped to help them, but when he starts walking back towards the bike, it does look like there is a vehicle up ahead that did stop.
my main thought is that this is one of the coolest/luckiest spills i've seen. it looks like they were in a water park the way he immediately grabbed her and they slid together. if you're gonna go down, it's probably better to hydroplane/slide than to tumble over and over as your limbs and body repeatedly slam against the street.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts