Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone...haven't posted since I bought a 2015 Bolt R-Spec. I LOVE my motorcycle. LOVE IT.

That said, am looking at swapping out the stock air filter for this from Vance & Hines:

Vance & Hines VO2 Naked Air Intake Kit- Star Yamaha Bolt/ Bolt R Models (14- newer)

I was wondering a few things:

1. Have any of you Bolt owners used this and what do you think?
2. Is it going to be much louder than the current air filter?
3. Is there any reason I should NOT do this to my beauty?

Any other comments welcome. Thanks in advance!

~S~

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
I have a similar one on my 09' 950t. If you upgrade your air intake only, you shouldn't need a fuel processor. If you upgrade the exhaust you will. I did all three, most noticeable upgrade was the air intake. Let us know the results if you go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a similar one on my 09' 950t. If you upgrade your air intake only, you shouldn't need a fuel processor. If you upgrade the exhaust you will. I did all three, most noticeable upgrade was the air intake. Let us know the results if you go for it.

Hey thanks for replying. So I bought the bike with the Vance & Hines pipes on it already. So because I have those, IF I get the air filter, I also need to upgrade or add a fuel processor? And which one? Sorry, I'm a bit new at this tinkering, but trying to get better! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
Not a problem, with the pipes already in place, and adding the aftermarket air filter kit, you'll need a fuel processor. I bought the cobra fi2000r as I left the oxygen sensor in place. Shop around though, I saved $200 by doing so. Hopefully this helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
Fuel injected bikes like ours are designed to run very lean from the factory to fall under eps regulations. If you add aftermarket pipes and nothing else, you're ok, yet you may experience some backfiring on deceleration. If you add a fuel processor and pipes you're still ok but can still experience the backfiring and the fuel processor should be setup/ programmed accordingly. If add the open air filter kit and program it for both upgrades, you should be able to eliminate most if any backfiring, and the performance should increase quite a bit. It follows the principle of an engine being an air pump. Open air in and open air out, unrestricted, will provide good performance gains. You may lose minimal mpg, but gain maximum results. Again, I hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi , i had one on my 1200 sportster a couple of years ago with the fuelpak fitted , the bike ran great , even rode around france for aweek and boy did it rain , ive never seen anything like it , i was thinking to myself its going to start mis-firing etc but never missed abeat the hole time , i was going to get one for my 1300 star but opted for the cobra powerflo , in keeping with the cobra exhaust

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to hear!! Really appreciate your answers everyone. Went ahead and bought the filter, which I needed to have shipped to Washington and have a friend bring down to Cali, and I'll be snagging a fuel processor after I get paid again...then to have my local Yamaha guy work the magic! I'm excited to see and feel what happens to the Bolt!

·
Administrator
13,709 Posts
this air kit is very similar to the one that some of us 950 owners have which is the LA Choppers XXX big air kit. and both the bolt and 950 use the same engine.

i also have V&H pipes and a Cobra fi2000 fuel processor. there may be 'better' processors out there, but you will definitely want one for reasons already given. i like the cobra because it has manual settings so you can adjust it more for either fuel economy or for power, whichever is your choosing. since you're in Cali, are you sure your bike's setup is emissions ready? if you're not sure, i would ask a local mechanic. Cali bikes have stringent rules for pipes and such to comply with state emissions testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts