Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've planned my first long road trip and am worried about throttle grip fatigue.
Yes I know it sounds soft but my hand does get tired, cramps and goes numb on long rides. So please post your suggestions, after market devices and advice please?
My route is Phoenix, Mormon Lake, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Route 66, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Zion National Park, Page back to Payson.
Thanks in advance
Tiff913

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Used this for years, simple, cheap and works well. You can't take you hand totally off but you can rest your hand fully open and your palm does all the work.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
There is one thing you can do yourself to avoid fatigue in your right hand. Instead of holding the throttle with all 4 fingers, stick out your index finger and rest it on part of the brake lever or the bracket that holds it.

That way you are not using your hand, wrist and forearm to control the throttle and hold it steady, you are only using your index finger as the base, and rolling the throttle with your other 3 fingers and thumb.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use the Kuryakyn Mechanical Throttle Cruise Assist. Had it for years and love it! Blends right into the bar end, especially if you pair it with the bar weight for the clutch side. The rolling it back with the pinky finger takes a little getting used to at first but not a big deal. If you have any problems with the dexterity (or a short pinky), I suggest before you take off to roll it to a point just before it starts to grab so it's easier to manipulate while you're cruising. I do this whenever I know I'm doing more than city streets and have never had any problems. Easy to install, looks good, and is built well.

(For me it is P/N 6284 which covers All '99-'09 V Star 1100 Models, All '09-'17 V Star 950 Models, All '07-'17 V Star 1300 Models, All '99-'13 Royal Star Venture, All '04-'14 Road Star 1700 Models, All '06-'14 Roadliner Stratoliner & Stratoliner Deluxe Models, All '08-'17 Raider Models, & '11-'17 Stryker Models)

·
Registered
144 Posts
The throttle lock that I have used for years is a Vista Cruise. I have also used a Omni-Cruise like Bevo, in the picture above and it works well too, I've found that on long trips, anything that lets you take your right hand off the grip to scratch, shake your arm out, or just let it relax in your lap, can have a huge affect on the fatigue levels and enjoyment of the ride. Cuz if your arm and hand are cramping , then you're probably not having much fun.
I've tried the Crampbuster and tho it was an improvement, you still have to hold your arm out and can't let it relax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts