Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very new rider. I took my first real spin a few days ago. Shortly into the ride my right hand started cramping. I guess it is because my grip is tighter due to turning the throttle. I found that during my rider class, my left hand would actually go numb and tingle when holding in the clutch for long periods of time. (We were learning to find the "sweet spot" between the throttle and clutch in first gear).
Does anyone else experience this? Can anyone recommend certain gloves, certain hand exercises ...etc?
I ask this because I can see it being a major issue during long riding periods.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,631 Posts
With time you will build confidence and start to relax on you rides. You need to be alert but relaxed at the same time. Just keep riding and before you know it you will have the confidence. I do where gloves for protection when I ride. Just find a pair that feel good and use them. I have a throttle buddy (google for options) that helps on long rides.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator
6,997 Posts
Hi Aunttudie, lb is right. Once your confidence increases, you'll learn to relax more. I was experiencing similar issues and raised my handlebars about an inch higher and it helped. Just a suggestion though. Keep us updated with your progress.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,631 Posts
Another thing is you can rotate your bars back or forward to make the reach just right. Don't forget to tighten back really good. They will rotate while riding if you don't. And yes that's experience talking.

Reactions: Stose85

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from riding about 30 miles. I took your advise and tried to relax my body a bit. I'm a little sore, but no where near the cramping I had earlier this AM when I only rode about 3 miles. I have a total of 50 miles on my bike now. My ride to work is about 22 miles one way and I am going to attempt that on Sunday since it is supposed to be about 80 degrees here. Thanks for the help.
Once I get more comfortable with riding, I think I will look at adjusting things to my liking. Right now I don't really know what I like about the bike and what I don't. We don't know each other that well yet.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I will second what everyone else has advised. Yes they make different grips to isolate vibration and they make little gadgets to help alleviate hand and wrist cramps but at this stage I would suggest all you need is more seat time. Being nervous will not only increase the grip on the handles your whole body is probably tensed up to a certain degree. Your body also needs to get adjusted to the demands of riding as well. My first few trips had my butt hurting after 15 - 20 minutes. Now it's normally well after an hour before I even think about it. As you become more confident you will naturally relax. Just don't ever forget you are on a motorcycle and get so relaxed that you get careless.
I also agree with your thinking of not making any adjustments on the bike just yet. Time will tell you what you need and want.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Remember to move your fingers...especially on the throttle hand. Just wiggling one at a time will make a big difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You'll get used to it I'd say..
I remember my right hip flexor used to tighten up, I havent noticed since the first few months of riding

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am a very new rider. I took my first real spin a few days ago. Shortly into the ride my right hand started cramping. I guess it is because my grip is tighter due to turning the throttle. I found that during my rider class, my left hand would actually go numb and tingle when holding in the clutch for long periods of time. (We were learning to find the "sweet spot" between the throttle and clutch in first gear).
Does anyone else experience this? Can anyone recommend certain gloves, certain hand exercises ...etc?
I ask this because I can see it being a major issue during long riding periods.
When you get a bit more comfortable on the bike, add a Crampbuster to the throttle grip. You can control the throttle with the heal of your hand so you don't have to grip tightly. I have a Crampbuster on both right and left grips for relaxed riding. (I've been using a Crampbuster on various bikes since the early 1980s"

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
A lot of this will get better as you get comfortable riding and start to relax. There's no need to have a "death grip" on your controls.

Because you are new, I would recommend getting about 500 miles under your belt before making mass adjustments to fit the bike to you. After you have bonded with your bike, adjusting the handlebars or swapping out controls to customize it to you will be the next thing. First thing is calm, confident control.

Also, if you are getting a numb sensation in your throttle hand when riding and directly after, but then it goes away, pay attention to what you are doing with your elbows when riding. if you are tensing your shoulders, you could be putting your elbows in a strain, and causing a chain reaction holding your wrist (and carpel tunnel) at a bad angle.

HTH

Reactions: Nash40

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
One word of caution...the cramp busters and throttle rockers are GREAT. But I wouldn't use one right away. It's easy to catch your jacket on them and not realize it. Proceed with caution when you have a little more experience under your belt.

And, check your ergonomics once your early nerves start to wear off. A small adjustment to the bars, and adding risers can make BIG positive differences.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One word of caution...the cramp busters and throttle rockers are GREAT. But I wouldn't use one right away. It's easy to catch your jacket on them and not realize it. Proceed with caution when you have a little more experience under your belt.
Wearing gauntlet gloves eliminates that issue.

Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the same issue and I've been riding for quite a number of years. Didn't have this issue with my 1100 because I swapped out the grips for Kuriyakin iso grips with a throttle boss. I'm doing the same with my liner tomorrow and hopefully this cures my numb right hand.
I had the same cramping/pain issue on every bike I've ever had. I thought it was just 'the price of riding'... Last year I got the Kuryakin throttle boss, and never had another issue.

·
Registered
Roadstar Silverado, 2003 75.000 Mls
95 Posts
I agree with Casyjones. Throttle boss is e very comfortable accessory.
A new rider has to get use to his bike. In the beginning you sometimes want to squeeze your handlebar. That will pass.
There are some technical modifications, that you could try later.
I don,t now what bike you,re riding. By the Roadstar you can get some less tension on the spring of the carburetor, so that your throttle runs lighter. I did also put a counterweight inside the bar-ends to avoid the vibrations. Normally the risers are seated in rubber, but I put different risers on the bike.

In worst-case you can put a Cruise control on the throttle. Than you can relieve your throttle hand. Buy one ore make one your self.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Squeeze the grips as you would an egg. Your problem is you are white knuckling as you ride...relax your hands and that relaxes your arms. Soon you will be able to ride for hours without cramping.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
use gloves and keep your hand relaxed. use the heel part of your hand to roll the grip, don,t twist it. holding on tightly will only lessen your control. new riders have to force themselves to relax, in time it comes naturally.also don't hook your thumb completely around the grip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts