Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2004 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom

I am pretty good working on cars, but don't have much experience working on bikes!
So this is what happened (just got the bike)
When the bike is warming up, with the choke out, it idles just fine. When the choke is pressed it, it does just fine, drops the rpm properly and idles pretty smooth. After minutes of driving, it would idle much higher than it should when I pull the clutch in. The only way it would stop is a) put it in gear and move on, b) put it in neutral. Even when shifting, it would try to idle up before I could shift. Once or twice it idled high in neutral but for the most part it only happened while in gear. I don't have to give it any throttle to start off, just let off the clutch and it starts moving. Any ideas as to where I can start?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's a weird problem Valhalla. have you checked that there is no mechanical interference between the clutch cable and the throttle cable ie. cables crossed over due to handlebar change.
Is the bike modified?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is, previous owner laid it over. we took and made mostly minor and cosmetic changes. Motor was rebuilt by a local shop, and carb was cleaned out by that same shop.
That might be it. I will check. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
probably developed a vacuum leak causing a lean condition, mine got a vacuum leak at the plug over the sync port on the intake manifold, found it by spraying carb cleaner at it ,and it did look ok but still it leaked pretty good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts