Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are quite a few options out there of which I've tried several over the years but right now I'm using this cheap setup and it certainly does the job.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Personally I have the GO Cruise style throttle control . It holds well enough that you can let go for quite awhile. yes it will slowly release the throttle over time but you have rested your hand long enough that it's not an issue. The biggest advantage i find IMO is that it never "locks" the throttle. You can roll on or off with little interference if needed. Easily adjustable to maintain speed. It's just friction holding the throttle.. not "locking" it. Cost is cheap..usually found for under $30.

Personally i would have one of these on my Bike over any mechanical locking device. Can be easily installed or removed without tools at anytime such as if your concerned on it being stolen just take it off and it can go in your pocket..

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got one like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VISTA-CRUISE-MOTORCYCLE-THROTTLE-LOCK-CRUISE-CONTROL-7-8-HANDLEBARS-BARS-/371901655533

Like Mrdub said, " It holds well enough that you can let go for quite awhile. yes it will slowly release the throttle over time but you have rested your hand long enough that it's not an issue. The biggest advantage i find IMO is that it never "locks" the throttle. You can roll on or off with little interference if needed. Easily adjustable to maintain speed. It's just friction holding the throttle.. not "locking" it. Cost is cheap..usually found for under $30," my experience is identical. Only thing I'll add is the bike will slow and speed up as you go up and down hills. Maybe stating the obvious, it is not "cruise control".

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you travel any distance at all then a throttle lock is a must have item. Your right hand will thank you! I have used NEP cruise controls on several bikes, also have used the Omni cruise style. All are good, some just have advantages over others. Currently on my 650 I'm using one I made myself. It has a small lever that is adjustable so I control how hard it grips the throttle similar to the vista cruise. It should be noted that any throttle lock should be adjusted so you can roll off the throttle easily in an emergency, ie. not LOCKED!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the Kuryakyn 6218 Universal Econo-Throttle Assist. It's a Throttle Lock but it's a friction lock and even when locked, I can rotate the throttle if needed. I got it a few years back on sale for like $25. It stays put over time though - no slow roll. As mentioned, it's not a cruise control and will not maintain a constant speed in any sort of hilly travel. Also, I just cannot use it at all when riding in a group. Seems nobody maintains any sort of consistant speed when riding in a group :)

I also have one on those slip-on palm rests. This too helps on long rides. You can release your grip and maintain speed with just the pressure of your palm. Two cheap solutions that really helped.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My issue with the Kuryakyn 6218 is it has that double mounting point that has the bar that crosses the right switches..The other major issue for me is too many adjustments.. if you over tighten or don't adjust it properly both can have issues.

The Go cruise is simple and no adjustments.. i'd rather the throttle slowly roll off than be difficult to roll off or having to fuss with getting it off if too tight.. I guess I like simple .

·
Registered
386 Posts
A throttle boss came on my bike when I bought it. You can use the edge of your palm and loosen your fingers or flat palm the throttle. Use it all the time and has adjustable angle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the omni-cruise has no slow roll off. it stays put indefinitely until you manually twist the throttle.
Oh i understand that ..my issue is it only works right if adjusted properly.. To me that in itself is an issue. not so easy or safe to adjust when your cruising at 60mph (100kmh) and it's not tight enough to hold properly.. But everyone has there preferences.. I'm just thinking the Omni is more a seasoned user device versus a first time user device.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
I'm just thinking the Omni is more a seasoned user device versus a first time user device.
it's not. it takes less than a minute to install. the only adjustment is a screw cap that you twist if you find that you want more or less force required to use it while riding. and it's as simple to use as shown in the video. simply push it into place with your thumb. it's difficult to imagine a simpler contraption. simple.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not sure of the make of my throttle lock. Or as I like to call them ... Cruise Control. ;) It came with the bike.
Mine works easily enough. I use my thumb to lock/unlock.
If you'd like I could take a closer look and see if there is any name brand on it. Or take a picture.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I owned two sail boats over a period of about 20 years.

On a sailboat the wind is always trying to weather-vain your sails to make the boat turn and point directly into the wind, which will make the boat stop.

So you always have to apply pressure on the steering (tiller) to keep the boat going where you want, instead of turning into the wind and stopping.

This is a good thing, because if you let go of the tiller, if you fall off the boat for example, the boat will turn into the wind and stop.

Twice I experimented with tying down the tiller, so I would not have to hold it. People do this when they are sailing long distances. It was easy to do and it was very cool: the boat was sailing by itself and would hold its heading pretty well.

Both times I tried this, I got distracted by something, and reached over to move a rope, or to put something away, and both times I almost fell off the boat. If I had it would have sailed off without me, and left me in the water miles off shore.

I never tried it a 3rd time.

The moral of the story is: you have gained all your experience riding with your hand on the throttle, so when you lock it down be very very careful - things can get away from you really quick!

Shaking the blood down into your right hand, or flexing your elbow for a minute is ok. If you start messing with your glove, or helmet strap, or reaching for something in your pocket.... YIKES!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The moral of the story is: you have gained all your experience riding with your hand on the throttle, so when you lock it down be very very careful - things can get away from you really quick!

Shaking the blood down into your right hand, or flexing your elbow for a minute is ok. If you start messing with your glove, or helmet strap, or reaching for something in your pocket.... YIKES!
Agreed,
I have one on my Vstar for the long trips and it is very nice to just be able to rest the throttle hand on the grip and not have to hold on as tight. Also nice when you want to get the blood back into your arm, but you still keep the grip in hand most of the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the hose clamp idea.I hope it works. Too dark and chilly to try tonight. Going to the Pacific Coast Reedsport and Florence, Oregon Wednesday, hope to try it on some straight shots. The first video was hilarious!!!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Be a man! VISEGRIPS!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts