Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day all.

Recently I adjusted my handlebars from the position they were in when I bought the bike. The adjustment was very minor (no risers), just about a 1cm (half inch) push forward and then re tighted them in place.

I then took the bike for a little run but on accelerating in first gear I found the throttle stuck, a twist of the throttle free'd it up but this happened three times.

Too much of a coincidence that this occured for the first time after adjusting the handlebars. I checked the right angle pipe that contains the throttle cable coming out from underneath the accelerator and the cable itself and all appears intact. If the sticking is due to the new minor angle of the handlebars should this free up? or is there anything else or should do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Hello Aussie, I'm surprised it happend by pushing the hand grips forward. And the mere 1cm (less than 1/2 inch). Can you or have you tried loosening the accelerator housing on the bar and rotating it slightly to see if it helps? Something tells me it won't help but it would be a simple excercise. If not there must be some point along the cables that needs to be loosened or adjusted.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Aussie, I'm surprised it happend by pushing the hand grips forward. And the mere 1cm (less than 1/2 inch). Can you or have you tried loosening the accelerator housing on the bar and rotating it slightly to see if it helps? Something tells me it won't help but it would be a simple excercise. If not there must be some point along the cables that needs to be loosened or adjusted.
G'Day Stratowart,
Thanks for the advice on this and I'll try what you suggest. Like you said if that doesn't yield any results I will go along the cable. I've got the full technical manual downloaded here for referance.
Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It may be a coincidence. Have you lubed your cables recently?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
One more thing I should have mentioned, sometimes the accelerator housing at the handlebar has a small round bump on the inside that locks into a small hole drilled into the handlebar to keep it from twisting. On the warrior I had, I had to grind the bump off for when I put on after market bars. Thougjt I'd mention it in case you loosen it up and it still won't rotate.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing I should have mentioned, sometimes the accelerator housing at the handlebar has a small round bump on the inside that locks into a small hole drilled into the handlebar to keep it from twisting. On the warrior I had, I had to grind the bump off for when I put on after market bars. Thougjt I'd mention it in case you loosen it up and it still won't rotate.
G'Day Stratowart, thank for the further info as my bars are aftermarket, on when I bought the bike. I have tried to work out what they are as they look like some of the HD Electraglide bars or beach bars. I'll look out for that bump. Just hoping to find time to get into it!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've used Motion Pro Cable Lube. But any water displacing lube would work. You'll also need a cable luber to pressure the lube from one end to other of cable.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G'Day Wart

Thanks again for your help, have just been out with the bike. I went along the cable and found a slight crimp in cable where it goes through the bracket holding the cables together. It wasn't obvious to the eye when first examining. I gently free'd it and it's good as new. Cheers mate.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Glad you found it with no problems. Almost lost one good friend due to a stuck throttle, couldn't bear to hear about another one. Cheers right back at you mate!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you found it with no problems. Almost lost one good friend due to a stuck throttle, couldn't bear to hear about another one. Cheers right back at you mate!
I can now imagine how that would happen, I was only out the front and nearly rode up a tree!

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Here's a picture of my friends throttle body:

At the bottom you can see the tail end of a cable tie stuck under the throttle cable. This actually prevented him from twisting the throttle grip back after it jammed at full open. He was a lucky man that day.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

At the bottom you can see the tail end of a cable tie stuck under the throttle cable. This actually prevented him from twisting the throttle grip back after it jammed at full open. He was a lucky man that day.
Mate the photo didn't display this end, don't know if it is my system or not as I'd like to see the photo. Where the photo should be is displaying the white box with the red cross that you get when a pic won't display.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for that mate, got it now, like you said he was a lucky man, hope he went a bought a lottery ticket! (that's what they say down here when someone survives a close call, lucky enough to survive that, maybe lucky enough to win a big one!). Pays to check everything doesn't it. When I went to move those handlebars I removed the plugs from the allen screws and found out of the four, one was completely loose, and one was a little over finger tight. I have been going over everything now to make sure all is right and was obviously like that when I bought it. This is my first V Twin and have been told the vibrations may cause components to loosen so I will always check. Good learning something new though and nothing like a vertical learning curve!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Dayum...that'll ruin your day. That's why when you cut off those ends you hold on to them and make sure they don't go anywhere.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts