Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? I feel like I need more feedback from the road, and not the vague loose feeling I get when I ride. I think it should be possible to adjust the tension in the forks but am not sure. I don't want to add springs like some have, just want to set the bike up to have as stiff a front end as possible.

Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fork oil? It should be done every few years.

If you want stiff, get Progressive front springs and go with a 50/50 mix of 10W and 15W fork oil. It worked great in my 1100....which uses the same basic forks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stock oil weight is 10 but the forks can handle between 10 to 30. I plan on switching to 20wt later on this week. I can let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
racetech makes a cartridge emulator that works really well. especially when you have the valve set up by a knowledgeable tech. the shims can be used to set up according to your weight and desired riding style.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock oil weight is 10 but the forks can handle between 10 to 30. I plan on switching to 20wt later on this week. I can let you know how it works out.
Thanks that sounds great. I'm still learning the bike (I've ridden a little less than 300 miles on it so far) and at high speed (55-60) I get a little nervous because the front end bobs so much on bumps in the road, and I seem to feel a little side to side sensations at times, though this could simply be the road itself doing that. I'm getting new tires (Metzler) put on it this Saturday morning and plan to ride 50-60 miles after that to try and break them in a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When was the last time you changed the fork oil? It should be done every few years.

If you want stiff, get Progressive front springs and go with a 50/50 mix of 10W and 15W fork oil. It worked great in my 1100....which uses the same basic forks.
This is a 2007 and I bought it a few weeks ago. It has the original tires (from 2006 - which are going to be replaced this weekend) and I am sure the fork oil is original as well. Should it be changed? For that matter the final drive oil should be changed too, right?

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is a 2007 and I bought it a few weeks ago. It has the original tires (from 2006 - which are going to be replaced this weekend) and I am sure the fork oil is original as well. Should it be changed? For that matter the final drive oil should be changed too, right?
I read somewhere that the final drive should be serviced every time you change the tire. Not just the oil, but also greasing the splines.

eGo

·
Registered
252 Posts
Finale drive should be serviced every 8k miles. Just change the oil at every other motor oil and filter change and when you change the rear tire, pull the shaft, clean and inspect then add a dab of grease to the splines. There is a special grease for the splines. ( Spline grease Krytox GPL 223 )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts