Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new (leftover) 08 1100 Silverado. Its time for the 1st oil change. (800 miles). I usually do all of my own maintenance, but I'm considering taking back to the dealer for the 1st oil change. My question is what other items are checked at this interval, other then a filer and oil change that would make we want to let the dealer work on my bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The biggest obstacle used to be and I think still is, that the filter is inside the engine, and the front exhaust has to come off to get at it. Also, I have my dealer do the oil change, and do the drive shaft fluid just because it does not add much to the price.
Jazzer59

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer just to ensure the warranty will not be voided. I normally do all of my own maintenance, but I want to make sure I don't void the warranty by not letting them service the bike. I do plan on adding a oil relocation unit over the winter months, but for now, I think I'll take it back for the initial service just to ensure the warranty.

I'll stop by the dealer later today to get a better feeling of what the 1st initial service entails, and of the cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah the first one i let the dealer handle and had a relocation kit installed then too (no labour cost for the install).

On the first service they do the oil change, a valve set, and change the diff oil. all relitvily easy to do but for warrenty sake i let em do it.

Other wise i always do my own work as wel as im a mechanic for a living.

The second service i swapped to sythetic oil myself wich is a noticable differance on this bike. Runs cooler and its alot quiter as far as engien mechanical noise goes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too am thinking the same. I'll let the dealership do the 1st scheduled maint to keep the warranty in effect, then I'll take it from there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts