Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk came in. It's an ebay ripoff of the DMY trunk by mutaza at $80 vs $400. I created my own mounting system for it. It came with a flat bracket, and arms that came down. I had nothing on the back so I got some 1/8" steel and started chopping. Then painting. And finally, it's on. It has the wrap-around backrest and even though it's ABS plastic, it seems quite durable.

The hinges are part of the mold, so extensions of the plastic with a rod through them, so if they break, they'll be a mofo to fix/replace. However it seems pretty sturdy as it is so I'm not to worried. The latch is about the most solid latch I've ever seen, no complaints there. The backrest is comfortable and solid yet soft. I sat in it, and I'm really jealous of my co-pilot...

Overall durability, I'd rate it 8/10. Appearance 9/10. Comfort 10/10. Ease of install 7/10.

I need to make adjustments on my install though, I want to bring it down 2 inches, but if I do it with it as it is now, I won't be able to open my bags, so I'll have to figure something out.

Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase. If I'd have bought the $400 one, then this one, I'd be mad at myself for buying the $400 one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your trunk looks lower/furhter back than mine, and your bags look farther forward. Still, my issue isn't as much with the trunk hitting the bags, but the mounting system I created. The mount itself interfered with my bags so their positioning was a bit of an after thought. I think lower and with the diagnoals on the inside I'll be better off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts