Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Venture/Eluder come with electric locking saddle bags and the Venture includes a truck plus the right upper fairing pocket locks electronically by the key fob as well.

If you go to open the saddle bags and they don't release check to make sure they are not locked via the key fob. You can accidentally hit the lock button while the key fob in your pants pocket while you are riding and not know it, it might be at a red light if you rest your hands on your legs over top of the key fob.

When this happens and you normally have the saddle bags unlocked while riding when you get off and go to open the saddle bag and it does not release it is temping to try the saddle bag button a few times while pulling up on the lid.

Just pull out your key fob first and push the unlock button and your saddle bag should open as normal.

I had this happen today where I could not get the left lid open, I always ride with the saddle bags and trunk unlocked, so when I could not get the bag to open I said to myself, I said self in the owners manual it says that if the saddle bags do not unlock to use the key as that will realign the lock tumblers and all should be well again.

I used the hidden key in the key fob and unlocked the saddle bag and opened it that way, I put the key away and closed the saddle bag after I was done getting what I wanted and tried opening it again and again it did not open.

There have been a couple or people who had a lock fail completely and a new saddle bag had to be ordered so I at first thought maybe the lock mechanism was going bad so I continued on with my ride and figured when I got home I would take a good look at it to see what was going on.

Well I stopped for lunch and like I said I always ride with the saddle bags and trunk unlocked, well when I went to open the trunk it was locked and that was when I figured out that I must have accidentally hit the lock button while riding. Once I figured that out the saddle bag was opening like normal so I had accidentally locked it without knowing it.

The reason I was trying to get into the saddle bag was because I hit a nice big juicy bug on my helmet face shield and wanted to clean it off so I pulled into a parking lot got off the bike with it still running as I keep some bug slide in the left saddle bag at all times but when I pushed the button it did not open.

Just a tip in case you run into something similar.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC
58 Posts
Just pull out your key fob first and push the unlock button and your saddle bag should open as normal.
You can also just push the unlock button next to the gas filler, I find it easier than trying to fish the key fob out of my pocket. As long as the fob is on (I never turn it off) and in range (it's in my pants pocket), you can lock & unlock the bike without ever touching the key fob.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I gotta' say, I find the "proximity" of the fob to be "very interesting", to say it politely.... I can make the bike lock/unlock from 50 ft away, while in the house, but if the fob is in my coat pocket, hanging 4 ft in front of the bike, the ignition switch will not function. I have also put the fob in the fairing glovebox, top left, or the top, front facing pocket of the bag on the trunk rack and experienced intermittent connectivity. "Interestingly", similar mysteries with my phone and bluetooth connections. The two best places, 80 to 90%, is in my shirt pocked or a cradle mounted to the gas cap cover. I had excellent bluetooth connection when the phone was mpounted on the right glove box cover, but then I could not see the map for multipoint routes - I have tried the GPX downloads...froze the Harmon Kardon for three days, through multiple "re-sets".

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC
58 Posts
I gotta' say, I find the "proximity" of the fob to be "very interesting", to say it politely.... I can make the bike lock/unlock from 50 ft away, while in the house, but if the fob is in my coat pocket, hanging 4 ft in front of the bike, the ignition switch will not function. I have also put the fob in the fairing glovebox, top left, or the top, front facing pocket of the bag on the trunk rack and experienced intermittent connectivity.
What you're experiencing there is the difference between "active" & "passive" signals. When you press a button, the fob emits an active, high-powered signal (hence the 50 ft range). When no button is being pressed, it emits a passive, low-powered signal with a very short range. The manual says the key has to be within 31.5" of the rider's seat, excluding the storage compartments, saddlebags, or tour trunk. This short range is very much "by design". They're trying to protect you from accidentally leaving the fob on the bike somewhere and having someone else take off with your ride!

Reactions: GreenMtnHunter

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Venture/Eluder come with electric locking saddle bags and the Venture includes a truck plus the right upper fairing pocket locks electronically by the key fob as well.

If you go to open the saddle bags and they don't release check to make sure they are not locked via the key fob. You can accidentally hit the lock button while the key fob in your pants pocket while you are riding and not know it, it might be at a red light if you rest your hands on your legs over top of the key fob.

When this happens and you normally have the saddle bags unlocked while riding when you get off and go to open the saddle bag and it does not release it is temping to try the saddle bag button a few times while pulling up on the lid.

I had this happen today where I could not get the left lid open, I always ride with the saddle bags and trunk unlocked, so when I could not get the bag to open I said to myself, I said self in the owners manual it says that if the saddle bags do not unlock to use the key as that will realign the lock tumblers and all should be well again.

I used the hidden key in the key fob and unlocked the saddle bag and opened it that way, I put the key away and closed the saddle bag after I was done getting what I wanted and tried opening it again and again it did not open.

There have been a couple or people who had a lock fail completely and a new saddle bag had to be ordered so I at first thought maybe the lock mechanism was going bad so I continued on with my ride and figured when I got home I would take a good look at it to see what was going on.

Well I stopped for lunch and like I said I always ride with the saddle bags and trunk unlocked, well when I went to open the trunk it was locked and that was when I figured out that I must have accidentally hit the lock button while riding. Once I figured that out the saddle bag was opening like normal so I had accidentally locked it without knowing it.

The reason I was trying to get into the saddle bag was because I hit a nice big juicy bug on my helmet face shield and wanted to clean it off so I pulled into a parking lot got off the bike with it still running as I keep some bug slide in the left saddle bag at all times but when I pushed the button it did not open.

Just a tip in case you run into something similar.
Unfortunately, on the first day of a 4400 mile trip, I came out to the bike ('18 Star Venture TC), having electronically locked them the night before, and found neither one would open. Checking these comments and others back in the room, I figured out that the known to Yamaha solenoid mechanisms had failed even though I could hear and feel them click on both sides when pressing the lock/unlock button. Rather than break them open, as I needed the cold weather gear heading into Colorado on Memorial day from the south, I turned around and went home. Sure enough, the dealer phoned Yamaha and they told them to cut into the lids to open them. Yamaha is covering it and two new lids are on order, one of which is in stock and the other is not. So getting the bike back is an unknown. I wished Yamaha would have told us, which would have had to have been a recall. Unfortunately, they can't just tell us don't use the solenoid locking system (I could have easily handled that and just used the key).

It is not a safety issue, so Yamaha is just covering when they fail and, since they've redesigned the solenoid actuating mechanism, it is likely the original set will all fail. So if I had known this, I would have had the dealer get me the new parts, perhaps at my expense, and I would have installed them. I've had '14 Harley Ultra Limited, '16 Indian Roadmaster (only bike with no issues), and now a Star Venture TC. The new Honda Goldwing is clearly the most reliable of all. The Yamaha engine is great, but who knows which of the sophisticated electronic systems will fail next as this is their first attempt at a high electronic tech bike.

I like floor boards and a cruising seating position, so I'll trade it in while still in the shop, probably for a Road Glide Ltd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
People do strange things. Fear is an active player for so many. Afraid that something else might fail, states the most reliable is the Honda Gold Wing, yet will probably purchase a Road Glide? I just don't understand this thought process, yet several have actually went in this same direction. My personal opinion is that they just really want a Harley. No disrespect to anyone intended. Ride what you want and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
People do strange things. Fear is an active player for so many. Afraid that something else might fail, states the most reliable is the Honda Gold Wing, yet will probably purchase a Road Glide? I just don't understand this thought process, yet several have actually went in this same direction. My personal opinion is that they just really want a Harley. No disrespect to anyone intended. Ride what you want and enjoy.
I agree. If you have a couple of things go wrong under warranty, how many people do you know, that will trade in their car, their RV, their Travel Trailer, their lawnmower or snow blower? I don't know of too many personally. Most will say, that they now have gone through the first two year, growing pains, and what will go wrong, usually goes wrong in the first two years...and after that...a pretty rock solid ownership of the whatever.

People I know, like to buy a used two or three year old RV or T.T. ONLY because, they feel the factory defects, will have been sorted out, and taken care of by the original owner...and they are in for the good long 'fun' and worry free' haul. I guess the same could be said for anything. I certainly would not sell or trade in a bike, because I had two or three warranty issues. If you or the manufacturer fixes or replaces the parts...you are 'good to go'... Take my recent front brake light switch. It failed...they altered the construction, put in a new one...and that's that. I'm certainly not going to sell my bike, because in case the switch might fail again or sit and wring my hands that something 'else' might go 'south'. The odds of that happening is such, that I have better odds of winning the state lottery.... I'm not buying a ticket...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sometimes I question the wisdom of the bells and whistles. Do they unnecessarily complicate things, just so someone can say "that's pretty cool". There are several brands now that have electronically operated saddle bags. Personally, I wouldn't want them. Its just something else to break.

As for @NewVentureRider choice of the Harley over his own claim about the Honda, he did state that he has a preference for the seating position and floorboards, something that would keep me away from the Honda as well. Harleys come with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. You can also buy extended unlimited mileage warranties, which I did. The cost of any repair is capped at $50 out of my pocket.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well you can add floorboards to the Wing. The Wing comes with a 3 year warranty with an additional 5 available for a total of 8. The Eluder/Venture comes with a 5 year warranty at no charge and it has floorboards and a great stock seat. So I guess it comes down to seating position? Which can be changed also. So it really depends on what you want, they are all fine machines. Most folks seem to think what ever they own is the best thing in the world and will defend that machine to the end. If money is no object buy what blows your dress up. For me the Eluder was a bargain and is a great machine. But would I rather have a 2021 Goldwing?, probably. But not for $24k. I will be just as happy on the Eluder for $14,500 and keep the additional $10k in the bank

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think many are missing the point of my post. The thought process is what I have trouble understanding. These are individuals who have purchased a Star Venture or Eluder, had some issues that were fixed under warranty, and then traded them for a different bike, normally a Harley or Indian, that cost more $, have less features, along with a shorter warranty, and all state the reason they trade is because they fear or don't want to deal with another issue might come along and have to get it fixed. My statement was they just must have really wanted the Harley or Indian in the first place. No knock against them or anyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts