Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that motorcycle tires should be replaced on time, or wear. I have not seen that written and was wondering about wht is the norm.

I am purchasing a bike that had new tires in 07, then was stored in a climate control garage til now. Tread of course is great, bud a buddy advises that they may be hard from time. (he has no expertise, but had "hard" tires on his that he discovered when he bought new ones. his hard tires were also worn too."

Thanks,
larry

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Should you find the source it would be nice to read.

Drifting a bit,..... Yamaha has recommended bi-annual brake fluid change, and 4 yr hose life, yet no one who I have talk to does it. Any comments why?

Thanks again,
larry

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know I would not use a bike with 7 year old tyres, it's just not worth the risk as tyres definitly do go off with age.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water from the air around so that it becomes compressable, not good for hydraulic fluid. Brake lines can also deteriorate and begin to bulge upon brake application thus making braking less efficient.

Certainly in damp climates like we get here in England it is good practice to change fluid regularly.

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
Drifting a bit,..... Yamaha has recommended bi-annual brake fluid change, and 4 yr hose life, yet no one who I have talk to does it. Any comments why?

Thanks again,
larry
Yeah. Because I'm lazy.

I don't know what the tire life is because I can't stop riding over nails. I love it. Like smoking meth, can't kick the habit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the answer from Dunlop....

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/

At what age is a tire no longer usable?
Service life is dependent on many variables such as inflation pressure, storage, driving conditions, loads, general maintenance and abuse. Scientific or technical data indicate that a specific minimum or maximum service life cannot be objectively established. It is not appropriate to establish an arbitrary tire removal date based on chronological age due to the wide variety of factors affecting a tire’s service life.

larry

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yep, there are many things to consider(ask bevo) with the tire thing, many riders never have to worry about the time thing, they wear em out riding before dry rot ect is a problem. If you ride a ton, if you keep the tire pressure up to kosher you will be fine, I think. Read your tire walls to see what the pressure should be, not the book. On my 880 Metz, I run 40 and 42 and 20K is normal for me for the set w/tread left a good bit on the front.:D

Ditto what my friend rmccutchan said:)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My take on tires is, if you have to ask, change them. If you have doubts about them, then that will always be in the back of your mind and one day, God forbid ..... We have enough to worry about when riding. I would get myself a nice set of Metzler 888 and be done with it ;). As for the brake fluid. It should be changed at the very least once every two years. That of course is my SWAG. We are all guilty of not changing the brake fluid in our cages and other vehicles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love to look for bikes on Craigslist and they will show pictures of how good the tires are on 7 year old and older bikes with 2000 miles.
If you look really close you will see cracks inside the grooves on a lot of them.:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, here's my story... In the year 2000 I bought a 1998 Honda with 2,200 miles on her. Less than a month later, I was riding over a rolled curb and laid her down. Both tires had dry rot from the Arizona heat and had dried out and become hard. The front tire would not grip the curb and quickly slipped down to the paved road, causing the lay down. Plenty of tread left, but still a VERY unsafe tire. Upon closer examination, both tires had hairline cracks all over the sidewalls and between the treads. Two things I don't do on the cheap - Tires and Helmets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts