Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I am in the market for new tires for my 2010 Stratoliner. I have heard good things about both the Avon and Bridgestone Exedra and was wondering what riders here thought? Do you use them? Do you ride on something different? If so, what do you prefer?
Also, how wide can I go without having to buy new rims or modify the bike?
Any input is always appreciated .. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tires

I've had really good results with Avons on bigger bikes. Not as good with Metzler or Dunlops mileage wise. (Valkyrie, VTX 1800, Goldwing, Vulcan 2000) Based on input from Stratoliner forums the Michelin Commander II gets high ratings.
I just bought a 200/55R/17 Michelin for the rear of my Roadliner from Dennis Kirk for $169.00 shipped last week. (Got it in four days). Looking forward to testing it against other tires I've had in the past. The same size Avon Cobra 72 or the stock size Avon 190/60R/17 were a little less money. I don"t ride hard, no burnouts etc. but I like to cruise at higher speeds (80 - 90 MPH). Especially in the wide open deserts of the four corners area where I live. Also ride quite a bit in the mountains around Durango. A lot depends on riding style. Different tires perform better in different situations. Some have softer compounds that grip better in curves, while others are better suited for touring and higher mileage. Most look for tires with a good combination of both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I don't ride hard, either ... just go with the flow. I'll look into the Michelins, I've always had good luck with their truck/car tires. The Avons seem pretty cheap at $169ish. Most places I have looked want closer to $300 for a rear tire. I'll definitely have to check out Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Avon Cobras have a 15,000 wear warranty. I have a set on right now, they seem good, but I haven't had them on a long trip yet. I'm almost positive they will not last 15,000 moles. I've ran, Stones (stock), Metzler ME880, Michelin Commander II, and Dunlop American Elite. I like the Metzlers best, but I only get about 4500 miles out of a set. The Commander II I got about 8000+ miles, and the American Elite I got 9000+ out off, but they don't hold as well in the corners. The softer tires (Metzler) hold better in the corners and on wet pavement, but wear a lot faster, especially on these heavy bikes with tons of torque. I live close to Dallas, so most of my miles around town are on abrasive concrete.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Avon Cobras have a 15,000 wear warranty. I have a set on right now, they seem good, but I haven't had them on a long trip yet. I'm almost positive they will not last 15,000 moles. I've ran, Stones (stock), Metzler ME880, Michelin Commander II, and Dunlop American Elite. I like the Metzlers best, but I only get about 4500 miles out of a set. The Commander II I got about 8000+ miles, and the American Elite I got 9000+ out off, but they don't hold as well in the corners. The softer tires (Metzler) hold better in the corners and on wet pavement, but wear a lot faster, especially on these heavy bikes with tons of torque. I live close to Dallas, so most of my miles around town are on abrasive concrete.
I just replaced my Avon Cobra with 7000 miles on it, and it was just past the wear bars. I went to the darkside with a car tire(Perilli Run Flat) 205/55/17, and it is great. I have run car tires on most of my bikes for the last 11 years,and while it is not for everyone, It is for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, I got excellent mileage and handling with the Metzler ME880s on my 1100, I wouldn't run anything else. But when I switched to my Stratoliner, the Metzlers don't last on a 800 lb bike with 115 ft-lbs of torque.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I just replaced my Avon Cobra with 7000 miles on it, and it was just past the wear bars. I went to the darkside with a car tire(Perilli Run Flat) 205/55/17, and it is great. I have run car tires on most of my bikes for the last 11 years,and while it is not for everyone, It is for me.
a can see getting away with a car tire on back, but with one on the front how could you possibly initiate a lean quickly. also some insurance policys would be in validated when doing that. i would read the fine print on the policy be doing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I'm going to give the Bridgestones a try. Has anyone tried a different size front tire when using a slightly larger rear tire? Or should I stay with the stock size tire?
Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know of anyone that runs a car tire on the front. When someone says double darkside, they are running a rear motorcycle tire, with the tire sizes for the front, and a car tire on the rear of the bike. The reason being that a rear cycle tire has twice the tread depth as a front tire, so they last at least twice as long.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't know of anyone that runs a car tire on the front. When someone says double darkside, they are running a rear motorcycle tire, with the tire sizes for the front, and a car tire on the rear of the bike. The reason being that a rear cycle tire has twice the tread depth as a front tire, so they last at least twice as long.
after watching a darkside video the rear car tire seemed to come off the rain grooves when in a lean, maybe not so good in wet weather? i'v never tried them so i can't really say.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I put a Michelin Commander II on the front of my VStar 650 just before a 4,000 mile trip with my 200 lb self and 50 lbs of winter gear. When i got back, it looked like there was only a couple hundred miles on it. I immediately put the same on the rear. My Harley wears Dunlop American Elite 3's, as the common consensus is Dunlops were "made" for HD's. I ride her pretty hard, and they're wearin pretty good on a heavy bike. Somewhere close to 6,000 Texas miles on em now, and I'm not lookin to replace them til at least next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts