Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using Kenda on Vstar?
Anyone using Shinko?
I have been on Dunlop 404 on my XVS65, 650 Custom and lesst that happy with the mileage wear time.
I ride City, some Highway at speed limits 200 miles once in a while.
Wondering what others are running and where is best price to buy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Both my bikes are sporting shinkos Ive got close to 8k on my 1100 now and they still have the new little tire tails poking out on them in some spots. My 650 just got em so I can't give you any info but they seem to last just fine and ride great. Not to mention they grab way better than the dunlops that were on the bike before hand in corners.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I've ridden with both. The Shinko Tourmasters I got pretty good performance and decent mileage out of. Nice tires for the price. They probably won't last as long as some like the Metzlers, but they don't cost near as much as the Metzlers either.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just got a shinko 230 for the front today, and will install it in the next couple of days. Read LOTS of reviews and they were great. Got it from Motorcycle Superstore for $60 and it arrived the day after I ordered it. Will never use dunlop again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I had a pair of Kenda Kruz on my old Honda and they did pretty well. Only had a couple grand on them when I traded for my vstar, but the dry and wet weather handling was very good and they rode smooth as glass.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
894 Posts
Kenda are the OEM on my wife's Yamaha Zuma 125 and I've seen no reason to switch. I haven't used them on a motorcycle yet, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I currently have Shinkos on my 1100... No problems and it rides pretty good.

This is my first set of Shinkos on my VStar but I have ran them before on my sport bikes and never really had any problem there either. A lot of people hate on them but to each their own.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I currently have Shinkos on my 1100... No problems and it rides pretty good.

This is my first set of Shinkos on my VStar but I have ran them before on my sport bikes and never really had any problem there either. A lot of people hate on them but to each their own.
I like the stickiness of the compound, but I was only able to manage 4000 miles out of my rear Shinko. Was in for an unexpected clutch that started slipping, and left needing a new rear tire.

I have no idea what would have eaten a tire up like that, but I've switched to Pirelli MT66 this time around. Considering it costs $60 to mount a rear tire around here, there is no significant difference in the final cost of a $95 tire vs a $120 tire. No more Shinkos for me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I gave in and just bought Commander IIs on the rear. It pays for itself knowing I will get 13,000 to 18,000 miles on it. So I hear anyway.
We will see, then again, who knows, might have a new bike by then?? ha ha ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts