Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual list the 2 tires recommended in the attached picture for my 2000 Yamaha Road Star Silverado.

What do you guys recommend?
Or
Give your opinion on what you've used/using.

I ride in enough wet whether that I want good grip. I am also not looking to break the bank.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
Asking for tire recommendations is like asking what oil is best, 馃榾. Just kidding but almost as bad. I'm a Michelin Commander 2 user. Use two set on my 1100 and got over 20k miles out of them. Put them on my Harley, 5k miles and look almost new. I've run Bridgestone and Dunlop in the past. I like the ride on the Michelin and great tire wear. The Michelin do not follow road grooves as bad as others. They are good in wet weather and feel very secure. They do cost a little more but if you figure in their slow wear they are actually cheaper. To me it's a hassle changing tire so not having to change as often is a win.

Registered
Just curious Les, what tire pressure do you inflate those Michelins to? Factory recommendation or higher? Just got a bike with them on and they feel kind of hard to me.

Registered
--

On my Road Stars, I use an Austone taxi tire, 175/(78)R16 which gets me about 25,000 per tire running at 30#. My front tire is a REAR Mich.II, 150/80-16 running at 40#. The one I have on the longest should be down to 2/32nds at about 37,000 miles. It's only got 29,000 on it now.

I do get cupping sometimes on the fronts, but I just pull the wheel at around 15,000 miles and turn it around so the tread is going the other way. This seems to fairly well even out the leading edge ridges.

All mileages and depths are with a depth gauge as eyeballing how much tread is left is pretty much innaccurate. So to keep track of the amound of tread all across the bottom, use a gauge and log it.

--

Just curious Les, what tire pressure do you inflate those Michelins to? Factory recommendation or higher? Just got a bike with them on and they feel kind of hard to me.
I use Yamaha PSI. Notice there is different PSI based on load. Also I have spoked wheels and use inter tube, don't know if that affects feel any, doubt it.

Registered
Bertha is a road Star, Scrumdown should be able to find the bike pressure specs online, if he does not have the owners manual, or the factory sticker on the bike...

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Bertha is a road Star, Scrumdown should be able to find the bike pressure specs online, if he does not have the owners manual, or the factory sticker on the bike...
I have the tire specs per the service manual.

I am curious if folks use the stock tires (Dunlops or Michelin) or if they use another brand? why for both stock or other?

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

Registered
I switched between the OEM mounted Bridgestone and Dunlop 404 tires on my 650, and liked the Bridgestone tires better

but Dunlop makes better tires than the 404s... its not just the brand you have to look at, its the specific tire.

Up to a point you get what you pay for. Buying cheap cheap cheap tires for a motorcycle is a loss, because it will cost you more to put the tires on the rims when they wear our quickly, than to buy a good tire that will last 20k miles on the front wheel, and 12 to 14 k miles on the rear.

another thing to consider, if you find a great bike and decide to sell yours, if you have really cheap tires on your bike, for some people that would be a deal breaker. You will feel like "I just put those on" and the buyer will be thinking "Im not riding on chinese tires!"

Registered
I had issues with dunlop back in the 90's, so I have mostly stayed away. When I switched I went with Metzler, and I loved them.

My 950 came with the bridgeston tires, and I just couldn't handle them. I believe mostly cause they where biasply tires, and I never had those on anything before. I looked around, and opted to get the avon cobra tires. They seemed to be the closest design to the Metzlers I used to run and where radial. I've liked them so far.

I never even considered any mich at the time, didn't even cross my mind they made motorcycle tires.

Good grip and long lasting don't really go together at all. Neither will be cheap upfront.
Just have to figure out, should you go with cheap tires that won't last long, that do what you need. Or get expensive tires that will last awhile. Guess this mainly depends on what the future looks like for you, and how many miles a year you put on them. No point in putting 25k mile tires on a bile that goes 2k a year, as the tires will expire and become hard and have to be replaced anyway. (But at this point likely won't matter too much to you how much you had payed for the tires back in the day)

Anyone use pirelli tires?

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
Only on sport cars years ago. They made some of the best radial tires when radials first became readily available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts