Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the biggest tire that will fit on my 2008 vstar 1100 custom.i want to go fatter then stock .i dont want to changevrim if possible

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't go any wider on the front than the OEM. On the back some have used a 200 series, but the rim really isn't wide enough for it.

There are some photos on the internet with the 200 back tire and it doesn't any different to the naked eye than the OEM 170.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Imho

I subscribe to this theory!
Yamaha employs some of the finest engineers. There people determine the best size tire for a given bike, consistent with the physics and handling dynamics of each model.
IMHO, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Changing the tire size can change the dynamics and handling of some (many) motorcycles.
I also think the if GOD put a tail on my dog, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
The front tire.there is no one have done this
why do you want a BIGGER front tire, but not wheel??

I subscribe to this theory!
Yamaha employs some of the finest engineers. There people determine the best size tire for a given bike, consistent with the physics and handling dynamics of each model.
IMHO, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Changing the tire size can change the dynamics and handling of some (many) motorcycles.
So, you hate choppers?

·
Registered
170 Posts
No Ken, I do no hate choppers!

If I hate choppers I would have said that.
FYI IMHO - IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, that is what I wrote, MHO!
Take a beautiful OEM motorcycle, chop it into a near unrecognizable pile of parts IMHO is not what I like to see. IMHO!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT TAKE PAUSE TO TRY AND INTERPRET WHAT I WRITE IN PLAIN ENGLISH.
HAVING OWNED SEVERAL HARDLEY DAVIDSONS, I WOULD NOT OWN ANOTHER.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a beautiful OEM motorcycle, chop it into a near unrecognizable pile of parts IMHO is not what I like to see. IMHO!!!!!!!!!!
Caps lock is cruise control for the cool.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason i want to go with fatter tire in front is i like the fatboy look and i think it handle better then the skinny on these michigan roads

·
Registered
960 Posts

uuuuh OK.............. OR SHOULD I SAY IT REALLY BIG?
UUUUUUH OK

·
Registered
342 Posts
There really isn't very many options available for an 18" rim. Stock tire size is 110/90-18. There are a few 120/90-18's that should fit with no problems but 10mm is not very much wider. There are also some 130/70-18's but that's a lower profile tire and it's about 3/4" smaller in diameter. Not sure what the rim width is on the 1100 so the 130 may be a bit too wide for your rim. May not be a lot of help but at least you got some kind of legitimate answer. :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm with Blueroadstar. The stock tire from Dunlop is recommended for a 2.5" rim and yours is only 2.15" wide so Star is already is already oversizing the tire from what Dunlop normally recommends for that rim size. From Dunlop, the 120/90 (D404) is recommended for an even larger sized rim. That doesn't mean it won't fit, but I'd be real leary of the consequences of going larger.

Disclaimer: not a tire expert. Just bored and googling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts