Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tire mileage

I have been getting around 10,000 miles out of Bridgestones. The front will go farther but I sometimes change both. My first set I got 8,000 but I have eased up a little on the throttle in first and second gear.

The key's are how often and hard you twist your right hand and to a lesser extent check air pressure. Maybe engine braking a little. I like to use the front brake more in straight stops to balance out tire wear.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My front tire made to 7950 my back made to 9639. Front tire went fast because I followed yamaha psi specs. Way too low need to run 41 42 psi in the front.Rear tire could have made further but I like to twist the throttle and do burn outs. I know I'm still a kid inside an old mans body lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just changed my Dunlop 404 rear tire after 24000+ kms. It was worn right done to a slick. Replaced with another Dunlop 404 as I feel very comfortable on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rear has 5500 on it, its not worn down completely but its starting to get the square center.. My front is wearing bad on the sides for some odd reason is that from wrong pressure? I think I will replace them with some Bridgestones this week..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm running Metzler Marathons and have gotten 6K+ out of mine and they are still holding GREAT! Running a 200/50/17 on the back with realistically about another 5K-6K left on it...front still looks new too.....probably have to replace them when I get back from Sturgis as they'll accumulate another 5K+ there and back.....will do the Metzlers' again though!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sorry I'm from the old school, ct means car tire where it belongs.There has been a lot of research put into bike tires.If the ct was so great for bike why do they make bike tires? Just my 2 cents I'm done now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thread

Hahahahaha...I could see from the first post this thread was gonna go down that path..............

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tires are all about what you do with your scooter. If you twist the throttle and show your tail then you will get less milage. If you down your pressure for a more comfortable ride you will get less. If you spend more money you will get more on the average. Me, I use Pirelli tires. They are mid priced and get great milage. Somewhere between 15-20 thousand. I like value for my buck and in Mexico I have to send to the states to get my parts and tires. The prices here are way out of line. So I choose well, I think.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yep, boil down what many of the boys have said, right hand, right foot, tire pressure. That is your milage. Myself, I wear my tread off, not burn it off:cool: Runnin Metz 880 with several K past 10,(into second year) and at least 1/2 to go. Your milage is more or less up to you. By the way, I run 40 and 40, with 2 up. Ride safe.
(edit part: Forgot to say I don't run a liner, an 1100, but the idea works for all)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may changing them to soon but I would rather be safe then sorry... My rear still has all tread lines showing just starting to get that square center my front was wearing on the side I am going to bump the pressure up to 40/40 with 2 people and see how that goes.
Thanks for all the info guys... That is the beauty of forums...
Thanks again
Mick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Metzler ME880

I switched to 200/55/17 (standard tire for the Harley Fat Boy) Metzler on the rear and a matching front tire. I probably have about 5000 miles on the rear and it stills looks almost new.

I have since found out that Metzler actually recommends their 210/50/17 for the liner. Anyone have experience with that tire?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
:cool: Running Metz 880
Well Sugar Bear I will soon find out about the 880:rolleyes: for you see I just pick up for 10$ one at garage sale. He said it was about 5yr old:eek: and still in most of the shipping paper on it.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts