Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are about 1000 questions about tires so I don't really want to ask any. I also like doing my own research, so I'll ask this: Is there a website that I can research motorcycle tires by size, longevity, whitewall, grip, etc. like I would a normal tire (TireRack.com)?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,483 Posts
Here's a few sites I've used:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but any general web site will not provide 1st hand experience with a given tire brand on the bike you need new tires purchased for. If you're worried about asking a question that has been answered here repeatedly over the years, simply Google search your question adding Starbike Forums to the search (e.g. starbike forums best tire?) and look at past recommendations. If you add your specific bike to the search you'll more likely get specific past answers.

Lastly, I don't think the average member here minds answering what tire brand they prefer for the bike you ride, I just suggest you pick the appropriate forum for your bike. You first have to decide what's most important in a tire, as they are made to suit different needs (i.e., touring, racing, rain, comfort). Generally speaking, softer tires stick well due to softer rubber, but the don't last as long for the same reason. Sport bike riders like sticky tires, whereas touring riders like a harder compound that will last longer, sacrificing some cornering stickiness for a tire that will not wear as fast. There are plenty of tires for those in the middle of those two extremes, but I strongly suggest basing your choice on what other riders of your same bike say is best.

Good luck.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,400 Posts
Most of us don't go through enough tires to have a full range of experience with all the brands. Even if we did, our preferences might not end up the same as yours. I suggest you hit up a few of the motorcycle part houses and collect the brand names. Most sites will have reviews, but always remember that they will push what they sell. Once you have a list of brand names, find them on Amazon and read all the reviews, in particular the ones that mention bikes similar to yours. I wouldn't recommend buying tires from Amazon. But I think their reviews are worth a look. Searching right here on Starbikeforums should provide plenty of reading too.

Metzlers (better) and Shinko (cheapest) get consistently good reviews on our cruisers, at good prices. I went with Bridgestone Exedra Max and I'm happy with these. I will buy them again. I chose a few brands that research seems positive on, and then shopped on price and availability (surprisingly hard to find tires in stock sometimes). The main thing I knew is that I wanted to get away from the Dunlop which I had. If you happen to want white side walls, you will have precious little choice if any.

Reactions: Pohio

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but any general web site will not provide 1st hand experience with a given tire brand on the bike you need new tires purchased for. If you're worried about asking a question that has been answered here repeatedly over the years, simply Google search your question adding Starbike Forums to the search (e.g. starbike forums best tire?) and look at past recommendations. If you add your specific bike to the search you'll more likely get specific past answers.

Lastly, I don't think the average member here minds answering what tire brand they prefer for the bike you ride, I just suggest you pick the appropriate forum for your bike. You first have to decide what's most important in a tire, as they are made to suit different needs (i.e., touring, racing, rain, comfort). Generally speaking, softer tires stick well due to softer rubber, but the don't last as long for the same reason. Sport bike riders like sticky tires, whereas touring riders like a harder compound that will last longer, sacrificing some cornering stickiness for a tire that will not wear as fast. There are plenty of tires for those in the middle of those two extremes, but I strongly suggest basing your choice on what other riders of your same bike say is best.

Good luck.
There is an old adage that motorcycle manufacturers spend millions on R&D right down to the tyres that go in a specific bike. Things like power to the rear wheel when accelerating as well as decelerating. How they handle in the wet or how they handle on gravel. The weight of the bike is important too. When going away from the manufacturers tyre spec can be more important for a bike then a car for obvious reasons. Some want a tyre that sticks like sheit to a blanket, but the lose out on life of the tyre. Someone wants their tyres to get 20+ thousand miles/ kilometres, but they don’t grip so well. Now with cruiser bikes ranging from 950 to 1900cc it is better to get what they call intermediate tyres. These tyres give you grip as well as a pretty good life. Riders who like to do burnouts and wheelies probably shouldn’t care what they put on their bike as they won’t last long anyway. Now me personally I like Metzler as they were great in the Warrior however, here in Australia you can’t get them for the Roadie. Because of this I have to stick with the manufacturers brand which is Dunlop. My experience with Dunlop goes back to the 70’s. My 79 Bonneville came with Dunlop K81’s. When they were brand new you couldn’t get a better tyre however after about 4,000 k’s they would glaze over. For some unknown reason they would have bucketloads of tread, but grip like they were on glass. I only hope that Dunlop’s these days are better.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
577 Posts
There is a recent topic here about the new michlen "3" tires. The weather has not been playing nice so I haven't requested an update yet. Barring some problem, I expect to be buying them within a month.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
For the Stratoliner I went with the Bridgestone Battle Cruise H50 on the rear and the Shinko 777 on the front. Here is the review of the Bridgestone , I used a 200/55 VR 17 radial.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,483 Posts
Updated with picture after 2500 miles on Commander III

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
577 Posts
I replied again after you "liked" my post.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I decided to go with Bridgestone Exedra Max. It's a good middle of the road tire from what I've read and the cost is reasonable. I did pay ~$20 more since I bought it at the shop I'm having the work done at. But I'm okay with that. The local shops need it more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts