Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this is a loaded question and I have already done a bit of a search on the fourm, but I have to ask: what tires are best for the 1100 Custom? Dunlop are readily available at my local shop, but it also offers Pirelli and Metzler. If weight is a factor, I weigh in at 285, my wife is 120. I avoid rain as much as possible, but end up getting caught in it sometimes anyway. I ride 65% highway - 35% backroads, and not agressive at all.

Also, when I do get the rear tire replaced, should I have the shop service the tranny? What all is involved in that? I think I've read some things about lubriacting some splines...

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you ever riden on grooved pavement? That whipping you get out of the Dunlops (stock on my 1300 honda now my wife's ride) would nearly throw you off. I upgraded to the metz 880 and the difference was incredible. The Metz stick well and get around 16k between change out. The bike has 14k on the current set and will need a new set in the near future. I am 250lb wife is 135lb. Take the pressure to 48 psi on rear 45 on front. My 2 cents for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Splines

LEMII,

I think the splines they are talking about lubricating are on the drive shaft.

I had two sets of Dunlops on my 1100. No complaints.

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you have the rear tire replaced, if you have a reputable shop do this, they should grease the splines when they put it all back together. My Yamaha shop lets me watch everything they do to my bike. That is the advantage of living in a small town lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dunlop

I have been debating the same question for some time and finally decided to go with the Dunlop D404 which is the original equipment. After all these are the tires the bike was developed with. The price is right and they perform well in all weather (yes we do get caught by rain sometimes). Mileage could be improved, but is highly dependent on the driver; so I am not sure I would get better mileage with other brand. IMO there is always a trade off between higher mileage and traction; meaning a gum that has better mileage will tend to be a harder compound and will have less traction than a tire with softer compound which will wear faster.

My 2 cents

;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts