Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting close to tire replacement time for my 2007 Stratoliner.
Hearing a lot about Metzeler though they don't seem to be factory favorites. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oldbaldy,
I don't think Metzler makes a tire for the Stratoliner. If you find otherwise please let me know. I've used Metzlers for a number of years for my BMW K1200LT and really liked them.
Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Oldbaldy,
I don't think Metzler makes a tire for the Stratoliner. If you find otherwise please let me know. I've used Metzlers for a number of years for my BMW K1200LT and really liked them.
Bob
Don"t know either, since I run a Silverado, But if they do Sugar Bear would say, give em a whirl, not to beat it to death since I have posted on tires before, but I am totally 100% sold on Metz. Been the best ever for me.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires for strat

Metz does have a line that will fit. Called Cobra if I'm not mistaken.Thanks guys for the input. Winter has slowed down the need to rush out and buy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have had a post looking too see if anyone is using the metzelr that they claim will fit the roadliner/stratoliner but its wider.. the stuff I found on it claimed stage one. haven't found anyone using it yet. check with metzelr and see if they stand behind it fitting.
good luck,
Paul
ps here is the tire size they say fits stage one 210/50 ZR 17 M/C TL ME 880
dennis kirk web site has them 4 sale not sure about any places cheaper..
metz site claims stage one no changes needed to get tire to fit.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sport bike tires

I have read of guys putting 210/60 ZR tires on Liners and some were not happy with the tire life. Tire is soft for the heavy bike. Stick to the road good but 4 k miles or less might be tire life from what I read.

I have also seen guys put a car tire on Liners. One example a General Altimax HP 215/60R17 was the tire. Tight fit, some talk of working on the fender. Would not be for me, wrong shape. But lots of miles. Guess I will just stick to the stock tire.

Check your clearance top and side if you change tire size.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I know some folks do run car tires on their cycles, but I for one really question the wisdom. I read the following quote:" I think a tire designed for lateral loads should not be used in an angular load enviroment-period"That was written by Chris Sidah (author of)the tech q&a section of the mar 2010 edition of Rider magazine.(Chris' Corner)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know some folks do run car tires on their cycles, but I for one really question the wisdom. I read the following quote:" I think a tire designed for lateral loads should not be used in an angular load enviroment-period"That was written by Chris Sidah (author of)the tech q&a section of the mar 2010 edition of Rider magazine.(Chris' Corner)
I'm one of those guys that have gone to a car tire for the rear (215/60 r17 Conti). The handling is a bit different. Requires a little more input to the handlebars. After 8,000 miles I've made the adjustment and the tire feels absolutely normal. On the front I use an Avon Cobra. I have about 12,000 on the Avon. It's got a few thousand more yet to go. I'll be replacing the front with another Avon Cobra. The rear will probably last in excess of 25,000.

Fat Strat

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's getting close to tire replacement time for my 2007 Stratoliner.
Hearing a lot about Metzeler though they don't seem to be factory favorites. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I noticed on Jpcycles today that there is a new Metz 880 size is 200/55R17. This is not the ZR that wears out so fast.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I noticed on Jpcycles today that there is a new Metz 880 size is 200/55R17. This is not the ZR that wears out so fast.
I've used Metz on my HD for years and have always had great mileage from them. I bought the Metz mentioned in above quote and I'm not a happy camper!! 4000 miles and it's worn out. :mad: (it was not the ZR tire but the best ME880 high mileage tire) I don't burn the tire or race the bike. I ride daily, rain or shine. I'm very surprised this tire wore out in half the mileage the OE Bridgestones did. (8K) I've also run the Dunlop D205 made for the heavy HD Cruisers. I got 7500 out of it. So far the Bridgestone has been best at the aforementioned 8000 miles. Still looking for a better tire. I'm thinking of trying the darkside or the newer Bridgestone MAX tire. Open to suggestions!!:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow old post and tires still a conversation... guess we need them...
Wish Metz would have made the marathon like it is for other sizes. Had them on my RoadStar and loved them. Good Mileage and handled all the curves and riding better then the Stones did.
I have the stock dunlop d251's on the back and hoping they make it till end of season for me... but its getting flat in the center (at 11,500) planning on ordering something soon. Maybe a Pirelli just for cost, Michelin has the new commander 2 coming out this month but no sizes or cost as of yet. Supposed to be a 40,000 KM/(Basically a 24,000 mile) tire.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have metz on my strat and love them. They ride good,handle good and hook up great.I have about 2k on them now don't now how long they will last but the way they ride and handle is awsome.My hd buddies use them and get 15 to 16k out of them. I hope I get that but I ride pretty aggessive. I put the stock size up front and put 200 55 in the rear. Hope this helps. I know people use ct but that's what they are car tires. They weren't designed for a bike. I guess if you were a hwy flyer straight liner that would be great. Here in the northwest there is no straight roads. Just my 2 cents. Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep us informed, I would like to know the mileage from someone who rides there bike aggressively... I try not to get on it to hard but this bike like the throttle twist. I have spun it few times, just not doing full burnouts as of yet...lol...
I ordered the Pirelli Night Dragon... just based on price for now and I need some rubber soon... Metz and Pirelli are sister companies. Will see, the center tread is about gone on the dunlop but I have almost 12,000 on that one.(seems more then others are getting) but I drive lot of hiway. when I ride..
Ride Safe

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've used Metz on my HD for years and have always had great mileage from them. I bought the Metz mentioned in above quote and I'm not a happy camper!! 4000 miles and it's worn out. :mad: (it was not the ZR tire but the best ME880 high mileage tire) I don't burn the tire or race the bike. I ride daily, rain or shine. I'm very surprised this tire wore out in half the mileage the OE Bridgestones did. (8K) I've also run the Dunlop D205 made for the heavy HD Cruisers. I got 7500 out of it. So far the Bridgestone has been best at the aforementioned 8000 miles. Still looking for a better tire. I'm thinking of trying the darkside or the newer Bridgestone MAX tire. Open to suggestions!!:)
4000 miles is best I got out of the 200/55/17 Metzler ME 880 High Mileage Tire. It rode good, gripped good, but does not last like Metz ME 880 on my HD's. I do not burn the tire but do ride daily. Buying 3 rear tires a year is rediculious!!:mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
mdikesr,
I know that Metz has screwed the pooch on this tire. Grip and No mileage is not good. Calling anything a marathon with the kind of mileage its getting is nuts. Anyway double check your tire I know that they make them in ZR...Like the 210- and I have seen the 200 series in ZR. only reason I stayed away from them as they are showing up for those trying to get the New VR that is supposed to be out... So I stayed away til Metz figures this out. Plus the dealers seem clueless. I am hoping that the Pirelli does at least 7,000.. waiting to see if that new Michelin Commander 2 comes in our sizes.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bowhunter, It's definately a ME880 Marathon. 200/55R/17. Raised letters on both sides. Tire is junk after 4000 street cruising miles. :mad: If you come up with anything better than the OE stones let me know!!;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hated stones on my R*... they cupped on the front and were getting flat spot on the back at 8,000... bad flat spot you could feel it in turns, jumping to the curved part of tire.
I wish Metz would figure out this tire for our bikes...

The dunlop d251 which came on my bike and now has almost 12,000 the center tread is about gone. Just pushing it til the tire comes in was hoping I had it figured but just taking chances like everyone else. Couldn't get a d251 anywhere easy... But knowing I can only get 10,ooo good miles for the extra cost. Mite as well get 7,000 on the cheaper one for now.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hated stones on my R*... they cupped on the front and were getting flat spot on the back at 8,000... bad flat spot you could feel it in turns, jumping to the curved part of tire.
I wish Metz would figure out this tire for our bikes...

The dunlop d251 which came on my bike and now has almost 12,000 the center tread is about gone. Just pushing it til the tire comes in was hoping I had it figured but just taking chances like everyone else. Couldn't get a d251 anywhere easy... But knowing I can only get 10,ooo good miles for the extra cost. Mite as well get 7,000 on the cheaper one for now.
Ride Safe
I shopped for the D251 and didn't find it in a 17". I know it's available from the dealer but I'm not paying $300 for it. I wonder if Metz knows about or even care about their ME Marathon not being any good? Makes me think it's the ZR Tire with the ME Marathon embosed on the sidewalls. For now to stay with a motorcycle tire I see my options being "try" the MAX Bridgestone or the Pirelli Night Dragon. :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did the same shopping its hard to find/available.... yep expensive. could buy the two Pirelli's for same money.
I don't know if they are making it with soft rubber or what... to call the Tire they are making in that sizes area a Marathon just doesn't get me understanding. Sticks nice but no mileage from anyone I have read about. Avon's Cobra in 200 seems to have a good following. i ordered the Pirelli(still waiting for it to show) plus the dyna beads so I can balance it and mount it myself. Will see how it does.
The Max seems nice I just haven't read enough review, kind of like the Michelin Commander 2 that is coming out-no sizes, no reviews yet.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I couldn't put off the rear tire any longer. I found a Bridgestone Max and had it mounted. Appearance wise it looks identical to the OE Bridgestone Exedra other than the lettering "Exedra MAX". I'll keep ya'll posted as to it's life. The dealer was all "hopped" up on it. Telling me how great it is and how much an improvement it is over the OE Exedra. Time will tell. This is my 6th rear tire and I've just hit 36,000 miles.:eek:

Oh, and I appologize for my post that the Metz ME880 Marathon only got 4000 miles. It got a whopping 4550 miles! :mad::D:mad:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts