Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 2011 vstar 1300 tourer the back tire is done .and it needs new shoes i do a lot of 2 up riding .What are y'all running i ride in all weather.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,659 Posts
I ride an 1100 and on 2nd set of Michelin Commander II. Love them. Got 23k on first set. I commute daily and a lot of 2 up on weekends. Traction and wet riding is good. The 1300 is heavier and your mileage might be less.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Seems like no matter what you do with the 1300 and no matter what brand, you are only going to get 8000 miles max out of a rear tire EXCEPT for a Commander II.
The tire size isnt an exact match but doesnt seem to matter, like a lot of tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been looking and have been impressed with the reviews on the shinko 777's. They even come in stock sizes. Might not last as long as a commander but I can get a pair for less than a commander rear.

With that said, how tall of a tire can I get on the 1300 tourer? The speedo on my 09 is 10% off and I'm looking to clean it up a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
I'm running the Bridgestone Excedras on front and back. I'm running a 180 on the rear of my 09' 950t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the commanders Monday went with 180-65-16 on the rear stock size on front get them put on Friday can't wait to have traction again

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just put on some Pirelli Night Dragons, front and back, on my roadstar last year. The traction is exceptional. Too soon to tell about the longevity.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3's. 180 in the rear. These look like they would run the same 7,185 miles trip across America I just took them on. They look soft and sticky. Feel sticky. But must be hard enough to wear as well as I think they do.

I was willing and wanting for Commanders because I've heard they're the best, and I like my past experience with Michelin.

Not the coolest looking tread pattern. But perform nice in the twistes even in lower temps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Prolly would not be appropriate for a V-Star but on my last 2 bikes ( '13 Victory XCT and '03 Wing) I ran a car tire aka "Dark Side"

Not sure if I'd put one on a lighter bike such as my Roady though as I haven't confabbed with anyone who has.

EDIT: Just did a quick search and it seems several folks have gone DarkSide on bikes such as a Roady, Kaw Nomad, Strat, etc and have had good success.

Not suggesting you do ... just sayin.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I just put a new tire on the front wheel of my 650.

The bike came with Bridgestone Exedras OEM.

The first set of tires I put on it were Dunlops. They were less expensive at the bike shop.
I noticed the bike was not as stable with them. Could no longer ride no-hands. At first I thought it was because the original bike owner had worn the back tire nearly flat in the center.

I had to replace the rear Dunlop after 8k miles, and I replace the front last week (12k on it).

I put a new set of the OEM Bridgestone Exedras on the bike again, and with the front tire replaced I immediately noticed the bike is stable again. I can ride with my hands off the grips, and the bike feels more solid and stiff in the turns and corners.

Im assuming its the weight of the thread spinning like a gyroscope. The more weight on the surface of the tires, the stronger the effect.

So that is my 2¢. Whatever tires you put on, pay attention to the thickness of the thread and therefore the weight of the tire, cause you can really feel it.

Not sure if its true on all the Vstars, but on the 650 the motor spins backwards, cancelling out some of the gyro-effect of the tires. Putting a lighter tire on it makes a bigi difference.

and BTW, it cost me $460 to have a bike shop put the Dunlops on. I got the Bridgestones from Bike Bandit and put them on myself. The set only cost me $260 and a days work.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
I have the same tires on my 950t as KCW, I like them and they did well in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts