Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably has been beaten to death, but I'm new to the cruiser scene.

I'm making an offer on a 2015 V Star 1300 Tourer. It will need tires soon. What do I buy? Radial or bias ply? Whats the best mileage tire?

I've had Sport Touring bike for the last umteen years. Figured I'd those in the know! I'm sure the answers will be all across the board, but I need a place to start...:grin:

Mutley

·
2,345 Posts
I have an 1100 Classic and I tried a set of Kenda Kruzers last summer. Got about 5500 miles on them and they're about half worn. I expect I'll need to replace them around the 8000 - 10,000 mile mark. Overall, I'm pleased with the performance. My only complaint (and it's minor) is that you get a little roar when cornering because of the tread design. Nothing that would stop me from buying them again though. Based on reviews I was hoping for a little more mileage but for the price I'm not complaining. Here in Canada, where prices are a little higher than in the US, I had both installed for under $450 (I brought in the rims). I'll probably replace them with another set unless I have some extra cash and want to try Michelins or Metzlers.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I run a car tire on the back and run a back tire on the front on my Wing. I will do the same to the Raider when the tires wear out.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,006 Posts
I'm on an 1100 and use Michelin II's. Got 22k on first set and have 15k on this set with plenty of tread left. No issues or concerns. I daily ride and they do good in dry or wet. No road noise. They don't follow the small cracks between lanes on concrete roads. I really like them. Check on line as prices do very from site to site, Dennis Kirk had best price on my last set.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
radials are recommended. bias ply tires on a cruiser seem to be more beneficial on heavy cruisers that do a lot of long distant straightaway traveling. other than that, i'd think most people are going to recommend whichever tires they are currently using. i like my Dunlop Elite 3 tires because of the longevity they've afforded me. the tread never wears down on them. they only need to be replaced when the rubber hardens on them enough so they start to lose grip. i replaced my first set front and back after about 3yrs/30K miles, but they should probably be replaced at about the 2yr/20K mile mark.

·
Registered
909 Posts
IMHO radial tires are the best option because their carcass is more compliant and flexible at the contact patch by design however not all bikes have rims that accommodate radials. I've had great results from bias ply Avon and Metzeler tires over the last 40 years in terms of longevity and ride characteristics in dry, wet and wintery conditions. I've heard awesome things about Dunlop Elite 3 tires but haven't tried them and probably never will since I'm down to just one bike and don't feel like experimenting again with tires on my primary ride. The last time I did that was with a set of Pirellis that where touted as being the latest and greatest but left me far from underwhelmed because they sucked for traction in cold weather and in wet weather even during the summer. Worse yet they messed with my head because they were such poor performers and I really thought that my 'kung-fu road skillz' were going down the tubes due to my age and less than efficient synapses. Tried and true Avons (Cobras) have slowly brought back my confidence.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but in general my suggestion is to go with the best middle of the road option you can afford with great reviews and be leery of suggestions of economy priced tires that look really cool or have a tread pattern copying models of more reputable brands.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... and run a back tire on the front on my Wing...
Please tell me you at least mount the rear tire in the correct direction to be used as a front tire (the opposite direction than for rear wheel use) if the so called 'rear' isn't a universal and truly is intended for rear use only.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Please tell me you at least mount the rear tire in the correct direction to be used as a front tire..
with a car tire on the back wheel, it really doesnt matter which way the front tire is mounted....

I could see dark-siding in Iowa there all the roads are straight and flat for 500 miles in all directions, but If I moved back to the mid-west I would sell my motorcycle and buy an airplane.

And BTW, a Ford Tractor tire on a motorcycle will last 100,000 miles o_O

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
i will tell you with the dbl dark on the wing I can drag the pegs just as well as I could with the MC tires on it. I can keep up with any equal power bike with an equal exp rider. I proved that to a guy on a ride a couple months ago. Dragging peg on a Wing at 80 MPH is an adrenaline rush for me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
with a car tire on the back wheel, it really doesnt matter which way the front tire is mounted...
Mounting a 'rear only' tire on the front wheel of a motorcycle means you need to mount it 'backwards' because the tread pattern which is intended to channel water in rainy/wet conditions will only be effective if reversed because of the completely opposite directional functions of the rear and front wheels of a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Yes you mount the front tire backwards, but there is a brand of MC tire that litterally has front with an arrow pointing one way and back with an arrow pointing the other. So it does not matter which end you put that tire on. I cannot remember the brand when I found it. I thought it was funny because of the Dbl dark debate every MC forum has.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yes you mount the front tire backwards, but there is a brand of MC tire that litterally has front with an arrow pointing one way and back with an arrow pointing the other. So it does not matter which end you put that tire on. I cannot remember the brand when I found it. I thought it was funny because of the Dbl dark debate every MC forum has.
The tires that have both a front mount and rear mount arrow indicating mounting direction is called a 'universal' tire, one that has a tread pattern that was specifically designed to be unidirectional, in other words a compromise in the most efficient tread pattern for wet weather use. However a tire that has only a rear direction OR front direction indicator was designed with a tread pattern for a specific use (mainly concerning wet road conditions for street tires) so if you want to use a rear only tire on the front, you need to mount it in reverse.

As for car tires on a motorcycle, yes that matters too. You only have to ride a worn out motorcycle tire with a flat center strip to know how a flat tire profile affects handling in a very dramatic and negative way.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The tires that have both a front mount and rear mount arrow indicating mounting direction is called a 'universal' tire, one that has a tread pattern that was specifically designed to be unidirectional. However a tire that has only a rear direction OR front direction indicator was designed with a tread pattern for a specific use (mainly concerning wet road conditions for street tires) so if you want to use a rear only tire, you need to mount it in reverse.

As for car tires on a motorcycle, yes that matters too. You only have to ride a worn out motorcycle tire with a flat center strip to know how a flat tire profile affects handling in a very dramatic and negative way.
I rode/ride both ways. The ONLY difference I have found is the bike comes back upright faster from a turn. Well that is a lie, I get better grip in the rain. I get better grip in the sand, I get better grip on gravel, the bike does not want to come out from under me as easy as a MC tire did. The bike gets 1-2 MPG on average worse, the speedo is correct with the CT, it does travel in the grooves of the road more, it does not grab the grooves of a RR crossing like my MC tire did to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts