Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you running? I've got an 06 Roadliner Midnight and I can not get a tire to stand up. Can anyone direct me to a good wearing tire and say what size they are running for a Liner, not a V-star. I hate to say it but I drive like my buddies and they are getting 15,000 km out of their tires on their Hardly's. I don't want them to have ANYTHING over me..
Please Help
Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
This has been a delima for me since I bought my 06 Strat new. OE Bridgestone Exedra 6000-7000 miles, Dunlop D205 5000-6000 miles, Metzler ME 880 Marathon 4000 miles. I ride year round and have to replace the rear tire 2-3 times a year. Absolutely rediculous!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tire mileage

nrft,

You are not that much off what others are getting. If you hold back on first and second gear acceleration a little you might get 10,000 miles (16k Km). That's about what I get from Bridgestones. I try to save hard acceleration for turns and upper gears. I avoid engine braking unless I need it. Spreading some of the wear to the front tire.

It is a heavy bike with a lot of torque. You can rip rubber off the tire without spinning the tire.

Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
However, there may be help on the way if this new Michelin tire soon to be released lives up to it's claims. Of course they'll also have to make a tire size that actually fits our Liners, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...commanderII_EN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this new Mihelin tire does what it claims I will buy two. Could you belive more than 40k klicks for a v-star- That wouuld be the rest of my life.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yes, the torque rips the life out of the rear tire. i tried to control myself last year and got 8,000 out of the rear tire and 11,000 from the front. this year i said i would rather have more fun and i am sittin at 4000 mi and it is getting worn. (only did one brake stand so far). it is so easy to twist the throttle so you can enjoy that power pulling you thru the gears. i think you pay the price for this enjoyment and pay for it in rubber. i guess the alternative is to buy a weaker bike that wont wear the tire out. yeah right like that is going to happen. if the liners are the fastest big V-twin bikes on the market then you better get used to buying tires. the same thing happens to me with my 65 Malibu SS. the more i hop it up the faster the rear tires wear out. yet strangely i find this totally satisfying. Hmmmm go figure that out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G'day all, I ride a Midnight Star (Roadliner). I need to replace tires soon. I'm in Thaland, so tires have to be ordered in. Any ideas on what is the largest width that I can fit without making major mods? Rear currently 190/60-17.
Cheers, Nigel

·
Registered
422 Posts
G'day all, I ride a Midnight Star (Roadliner). I need to replace tires soon. I'm in Thaland, so tires have to be ordered in. Any ideas on what is the largest width that I can fit without making major mods? Rear currently 190/60-17.
Cheers, Nigel
You can fit a 240 under it. The problem is the rims not an 18 and its only 5.5 wide. So the problem really is just the rim. cycle image can take your stock rim and make it a 18x8.5 for about 600 bucks. Then you trim the fender but the belt guard and then you can put on your 240.

http://www.cycleimage.com/articles_240tire.aspx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks mate. Much appreciated. It looks super with the 240. I'll have to find someone in Bangkok to make the mods for me.
Cheers, Nigel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes. Its a lot like that.

I live in the burbs though, & tend to ride out of Bangkok rather than towards the downtown area. Then I'd probably need a tank....Cheers, Nigel

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not to start an argument and too rediculous of a debate. Has anyone here ran a Dark-side tire ( car )? If so what size? I have a friend who runs a Dark-side on his Warrior...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not to start an argument and too rediculous of a debate. Has anyone here ran a Dark-side tire ( car )? If so what size? I have a friend who runs a Dark-side on his Warrior...
Oh I have come oh so close. Just went with my 6th tire in 36,000 miles. I studied it real hard but backed out at the last minute. I love to ride in the mountains and twisties and felt it may not handle them well. I'd love to meet someone who runs one and get face to face results or even a ride to the corner and back. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw a Stratoliner on youtube being dynoed and it had a Darkside on it... I'm going to do more research on it. There are tons of Honda Valkrye with Darkside on them and say no problems... I know lot's of 1400 suzuki Intruder and S90 owners who do too. It's just a matter of getting the right sz and style.

Here is a link to a Darkside discussion on here... http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3485&highlight=darkside

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a Stratoliner on youtube being dynoed and it had a Darkside on it... I'm going to do more research on it. There are tons of Honda Valkrye with Darkside on them and say no problems... I know lot's of 1400 suzuki Intruder and S90 owners who do too. It's just a matter of getting the right sz and style.

Here is a link to a Darkside discussion on here... http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3485&highlight=darkside
Look here as well.....http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

·
Registered
254 Posts
Like others finding a tire with good wear... what a pain..
Dunlop D251 was on the bike when I got it just hitting 12,300 on that one. trying to find it is a pain, and the cost. I am just as well putting Pirelli's on for half the money get to learn how good it is... Everything I have heard most tires if not in the ZR soft rubber get around 7,000 hope for more. Keep waiting for a better mileage tire hope we get some good reviews.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Continental Conti Contact 215/60r17 on my 06 Strat. It has 17,000 miles on it now with alot of life left. I just completed a 3,600 mile loop from central Florida to Maine and back with no issues.

With that being said...the 215 does grab onto irregularities on the road surface, but nothing to worry about. It's a feel that one must get accustomed to. The guys that run the General Altimax hp 205/60 say that the handling is no different than a MC tire, only with three times the tire life. If the Conti ever wears out... I'm going to try that next.

FS

·
Registered
882 Posts
Oh I have come oh so close. Just went with my 6th tire in 36,000 miles. I studied it real hard but backed out at the last minute. I love to ride in the mountains and twisties and felt it may not handle them well. I'd love to meet someone who runs one and get face to face results or even a ride to the corner and back. ;)
Ditto that.

I'm getting about 4,000 miles out of rears. I ride fairly hard, do a lot of two up and am always carrying stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a Continental Conti Contact 215/60r17 on my 06 Strat. It has 17,000 miles on it now with alot of life left. I just completed a 3,600 mile loop from central Florida to Maine and back with no issues.

With that being said...the 215 does grab onto irregularities on the road surface, but nothing to worry about. It's a feel that one must get accustomed to. The guys that run the General Altimax hp 205/60 say that the handling is no different than a MC tire, only with three times the tire life. If the Conti ever wears out... I'm going to try that next.

FS
Fat Strat, Have you ridin twisties, switch backs, and the curvy curvy mountain roads with it? Have you ridin 2 up with it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts