Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I need some input from other members on this issue.

1. Which vstar 650 model makes for a better bobber in stock trim ?
2. Is one model better than another to work with ?
3. Are there different years of production that make this project easier?

I would guess that a fully dressed classic would have a few more parts that could be sold off to offset the cost of bobbing.

jake :);):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
All years are the same....the only difference is between Classic and Custom.

Cut the rear fender off of either one and you have a bobber....

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sic Mick, Thats a poor mans bobber. I'm seriously thinking about making a flat fender type bobber. Not from my 2000 classic, But
another bike.

A flat fender uses the same style of fender you see on a trailer.
Where the middle is flat and only the edges have a radius.

Mid height bars, Traditional bobber rear lights. And custom seat pan.
I have access to 7/8" aluminum tubing (thickwall) to make the fender braces and other required parts.

My custom chopper I built back in 2003 had the flat fender look and was cool. Fairly stock motor with exhaust and intake mods only.
Stock tank. and gauges.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I guess I find the term "bobber" kind of overused these days. It used to mean a bike with the rear fender "bobbed"....or cut off. Now it seems to mean anything from a different fender to putting a skull carb cover on the bike.

If you plan on making a stripped down "chopper/bobber" type motorcycle.... just buy whatever you can find the cheapest and have at it. Have a detailed plan for the design and proceed from there.

I've seen those flat fenders used a lot. The biggest issue is finding one that matches the radius of the tire. They look funny if they don't. Struts and attachments are pretty easy. You can have a seat pan made for about $45 or so to fit the 650 frame. I may have some contact info for the guy that built mine. I can look around....he did a great job.

Then it's just a matter of stripping everything else off the bike.... which is the easy part....lol. If you;re adventurous, get a king sporty tank, cut out the bottom and re-weld it in to fit the 650 frame. It gets rid of the fat tank look.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, I would like to change the tank to a different design. All And I mean all the So called Bobbers I've seen use the stock tank.

Very few outside that box. Most of the time it comes down to the gauges . There are some trix to work around it.

For a really nice blvd cruiser a smaller tank would be keen.

I'll toss some ideas in that direction. Thanx for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts