Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of bobbing the bike I just bought. Pictures of it are in another thread. While I know there's a very wide range of costs involved, can anyone give me a ballpark idea for a price range on doing this? I'd do as much of my own work as possible, but that's mainly going to be bolt-on stuff, I don't know how to paint, run wires, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you go blue collar bobber stuff , you're looking at a grand or more to fully outfit it. A lot less if you fabricate your own parts or go without some of the extras. Prefab stuff is expensive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends on what you want. I bobbed mine, I spent $3200 for the bike and about another $2500 on parts and paint, but I also now have a bike that I tore down to just a frame and motor and built back up. It was frustrating at times but still glad I did it. I am going to say this and it will sound lame but I feel I have a connection to my bike because of this. I will also say that it created a monster of sorts because now I look at all kinds of motorcycles and think about how I would change it, now that I have some confidence. I am actually thinking about selling mine so I can do another project bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
before deciding to bob you need to ask yourself a few questions and have a for sure yes to them.

1. will I ever have a passenger.
2. do I need to carry stuff with me (ie short trips only)
3. do I want to make a permenant change to my bike.

The 1100s once bobbed while thats pretty much it you have to cut the subframe off on the rear end and once you go black you don't go back LOL...

You could probably weld it back on later but its a strong point on the frame so it would have to be a bloody strong weld.

If you are down for a fenders bike with a nice flat paint job thats the easiest route to go while you decide if you want to keep your bike 1 up or 2 up riding.

If your married and your wife wants to ride well I am going to tell you to keep the rear fender as is and go from there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is what I mean by bobbed with the rear fender. Still simple still nice but 2 up functional.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
that's a good looking bike, but how is that a bobber?
The definition of a bobber is a stripped bike that's functional for the owner. There are so many variations it's nuts.

Now you'll get the varried it's still got fenders people and that's fine. But the two bike shows it was entered in they moved me from metric to bobber/custom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I say........CUT THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
But the two bike shows it was entered in they moved me from metric to bobber/custom.
then it was probably for the "custom" part. the main characteristics of a bobbed out bike is any combination of: bare front tire, chopped rear fender, no rear seat, springer seat, apehangers, no engine guard, custom short pipes, and basically anything else removed that isn't essential to making the bike operate and to reduce weight. but technically, the main thing is that the rear fender is 'bobbed'.

·
Registered
166 Posts
then it was probably for the "custom" part. the main characteristics of a bobbed out bike is any combination of: bare front tire, chopped rear fender, no rear seat, springer seat, apehangers, no engine guard, custom short pipes, and basically anything else removed that isn't essential to making the bike operate and to reduce weight. but technically, the main thing is that the rear fender is 'bobbed'.
Indeed, the term "bobbed" refers to a bobcats short tail. So you chop your fender, and thereby "bob" it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my V-Star 1100 already bobbed (rear fender frame cut off and gone). Now I want to fit some rear fender struts so I can have a removable rear section for those occasions the wife wants to ride (bolt it on) and when I ride solo (take it off), but see from another thread the ones from a 650 won't work (don't see why if I am going to fit a custom fender). Wondering if anyone has fit Harley Softail struts or some other brand struts and done such a thing....?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts