Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it purely asthetic or is there something to it ??

I have blacked out pipes now , so should i go with black or white wrap??

·
Registered
923 Posts
From what I know, which you can't hold me to, wrapped pipes were originally meant for pipes before double walled pipes and heat shields. This fiberglass thermal wrap worked the same as heat shielding. Recently it's being used a lot for looks to give bikes that retro look/feel. But again, that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As it was explained to me the wrapping helps with maintaining heat within the pipe which theoretically means it moves gasses at a higher velocity out of the exhaust, it also helps with radiant heat on things like legs, cyclinders etc and makes you look cool. ive been told its got performance benefits but not very big ones. when i had my hayabusa i wrapped the headers with the stuff and it reduced temps under the fairins slightly aswell so thats always a plus. i guess its alot like seramic coating stuff. Oh and when i say perofrmance gains im talking unoticable and un measurable from my experience but certainly contains the heat within the pipe alot better

·
Administrator
13,270 Posts
are you asking if you should even wrap your pipes at all? wasn't it you who said you were doing it because you don't want to burn yourself against the pipes? maybe i'm mistaking you for someone else that said that on here. i'd go with the black wrap if you're going to wrap them.

ive been told its got performance benefits but not very big ones
i think the performance benefits are limited to just helping the engine run cooler.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
+1 on what everybody else said and add don't do white unless a show bike you never ride. White gets crappy looking pretty quick.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As it was explained to me the wrapping helps with maintaining heat within the pipe which theoretically means it moves gasses at a higher velocity out of the exhaust, it also helps with radiant heat on things like legs, cyclinders etc and makes you look cool. ive been told its got performance benefits but not very big ones. when i had my hayabusa i wrapped the headers with the stuff and it reduced temps under the fairins slightly aswell so thats always a plus. i guess its alot like seramic coating stuff. Oh and when i say perofrmance gains im talking unoticable and un measurable from my experience but certainly contains the heat within the pipe alot better
+1

It comes from wrapping headers on cars to move the gases out faster. A very minor performance enhancement but sure looks good. :D

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, a semi-related question: I have been considering wrapping the header pipes only (I have the original pipes on my bike). When I bought the bike, the header pipes were really blued (mostly from being run indoors for the past four years, never outdoors); I removed most of the bluing with Blu-Job chrome polish, but the pipes look pretty bad.

Has anyone done that, or have any advice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts