Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished changing the oil in my wifes 1100 custom, grrr I keep forgetting how much I hate doing an oil change on it. I have Hard Chrome shorties on it and have to remove both pipes to get to the filter. I would like to have a few minutes alone with the engineer that designed it:mad:! It's not surprising that Yammy discontinued the 1100, I would not buy another one or recommend one either. I ride the 1300 and oil and filter is a breeze to change. Next oil change I will be installing an ORK or get her a new bike. I'm tired of the poor design, OK I'm done now ranting now! :)
Thanks for listening :D

What are some of your thoughts about this issue?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was considering the 1100 before I bought my 1300 because they were so plentiful around here. When I discovered you had to remove the exhaust to complete O&F change, I pretty much ruled it out. I like to throw the local indy shop some biz but I like to change my own oil! Taking the pipes off every oil change sounded like a real PITA.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's why you buy the oil filter relocation kit. Problem solved. That's like not buying a bike because there's not enough chrome on it...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sunday I went for a ten minute ride to warm the bike up, changed the oil and filter, then went for a ten minute ride to check for leaks, all in a half hour. Love my 1100 Classic with the ORK.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just finished changing the oil in my wifes 1100 custom, grrr I keep forgetting how much I hate doing an oil change on it. I have Hard Chrome shorties on it and have to remove both pipes to get to the filter. I would like to have a few minutes alone with the engineer that designed it:mad:! It's not surprising that Yammy discontinued the 1100, I would not buy another one or recommend one either. I ride the 1300 and oil and filter is a breeze to change. Next oil change I will be installing an ORK or get her a new bike. I'm tired of the poor design, OK I'm done now ranting now! :)
Thanks for listening :D

What are some of your thoughts about this issue?
I dont mind doing it, I have a fairly stressful job so getting to change my oil and spend time in the garage is a nice oasis. I know it sounds silly but I look forward to working on it. As daunting as it may be, its time away from the cell phone with the radio blasting.

-Elliott

·
Registered
794 Posts
I actually enjoyed changing the oil filter... I've been trying to learn how to do EVERYTHING on my bike and the realization that removing such a large part of the bike (the whole exhaust) was pretty easy has made me a lot more confident about tearing into other things... kind of like changing out brake pads made me less scared that I was going to kill myself if I messed with vital stuff. That being said, I wouldn't mind installing an ORK the next time I change the oil :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
An ORK would be nice but, like others have noted, I LIKE wrenching on stuff.

Taking the pipes off gives me something to do while I wait for the oil to drain.

Unless I break an exhaust bolt, dropping the pipes is not a big deal.

If I figure it takes an hour to change the oil, and I bill my time to myself at $25 an hour... I can change the oil 10 times for the cost of an ORK. By the time I put that many miles on this bike, I will probably be looking for a new bike anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had the oil relocation kit on ours. Had to upgrade the hoses after a couple of years do to leaks. Sure makes the oil changes a lot quicker.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be getting an ORK next oil filter change, providing the wife can still ride. She has a bad back and hip that has been really bad lately, she loves to ride and wants to keep riding but is not willing to ride while using heavy pain killers (makes sense).

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
One big bonus about the ORK is you should get 15deg drop in your oil temperature. And with the type that has a aluminum case and uses a cartage type filter is Said to give 25 deg drop. and that is all good

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone come across any black ORK's?
I found one from Jardine, not sure why black is more than chrome?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've never really looked closely at the oil filter area on an 1100. Why exactly does the exhaust need to be removed? Do they have bolts that are covered up by the pipe? That's just odd that it would be designed that way. As I've read here and most everywhere the ORK for the 1100 is the way to go. I see there is one for the 650 as well but I don't see the need. It would no doubt speed up the filter change but not important IMO.
What's weird is I see people post on you-tube or other forums that the 650 oil change is a pain and the exhaust has to be removed. I don't know where they are coming up with this but apparently they are confused.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bikermike do you have a pic. of your 82 500? can you I.D. old Honda's from a video ?.
Sorry I don't have pics. It's in the shed buried in snow. It's going to be a long time after spring gets here before I can get in.
Post some pics of the Honda's, and somebody will be able to help identify them. Or post the link to the video, sounds like this could be a game. LOL:D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Once a feller has a few years racked up on the ol body, wallerin around on the floor or ground just to drop pipes to change the oil, ain't no fun no more:( ork is the only way to go if you love the 1100 as I do, and most all 1100 riders do. As farmall says, helps cool the oil a bit too, good thing:)
As far as black ork's never figgered that one out, why? Plenty of black filters to be had but I have not seen a black ork unit, I would not want one, look plumb nasty to me, love crome:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts