Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 05 v star 650 I bought the bike used. It likes to pop on deceleration but not all the time and it will stall after about a min in nutral. Also i have to rev the motor when I start the bike (warm or cold). I took the spark plugs out one is completely pink and looks worn the other is pink and white. It looks worn was well but I'm wondering if the white is indicating its a little lean. I have enclosed links to the pictures. I'm having trouble linking the images so I including drop box links
http://db.tt/utrwxlrb
http://db.tt/5S72q26m

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Are you using the choke when starting?
Definitely shouldn't twist the throttle when starting unless you want a more expensive repair down the road (look to the wiki KB for explanation).
I'd guess one of the idler jets is clogged, but sounds like you need to pull the carbs and clean well at a minimum and probably adjust and sync.

Stock intake and exhaust? If not, what size jets?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea they r stock. I have trouble starting. Like its not getting a good spark or enough fuel. Oh about 3 times in the past two weeks it has a serious backfire like it has carbon build up upon a cold start. Yes I use choke on cold starts. I don't use choke if the motor has been of for like 30 min

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Miescha could it be from bad gas for crappie start. For the first and second fill up (approx. 350 miles) I had no issue except for the occassional pop on deceleration and minor backfire (sounded like a muffled.22 at 300 feet away).

·
Registered
6 Posts
You stated that the spark plugs were pink. That is a sign that the gas has silicone added as an additive. Bad news. Change where you buy your gas and see if the problem gets better. Silicone in gas was a big problem a few years ago in the New England area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are pink and rusted lol. I am going to change them non the less cause they dont sound or feel like they are firing correctly. I did not have any issues trying to start tonight with giving no extra gas or choke (engine warm). I been using 7-eleven i had put mid-grade in the fill up before my last one. This past fill up, I put premium from a different 7-eleven and im not having as much trouble and the engine is starting to have less vibration and knocking. I am going to go back to regular after this fill up and see if that is any different but im gonna stay away from mid-grade. Also those spark plugs are the same sparks from po. i am curious if NGK iridium are really worth the money? oh is it normal for the engine to pop when decelerating from a high rpm(releasing throttle)?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You stated that the spark plugs were pink. That is a sign that the gas has silicone added as an additive. Bad news. Change where you buy your gas and see if the problem gets better. Silicone in gas was a big problem a few years ago in the New England area.
i posted links to pictures of my spark plugs in the first post
sry for not actually posting pics but i cant figure it out atm....

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well the historical info that this is a recent development changes things (maybe ).

I thought the bike was like this since purchased used. Given its a recent development, it certainly could be bad fuel. The cheapest quick test is to drain the fuel, add fresh fuel, add sea foam or similar cleaner and run it long enough to clean it out. Go ahead and change the plugs first (it's cheap and they sound questionable at best) and make sure you gap them properly even if they are pre-set.

If problem continues you may still need to pull the carbs to rule out some type of gunk fouling the system, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in (paging sick mick :)

Do the easy stuff and let us know what happens, we'll get you straightened out!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is recent for the starting cause when i first bought it (Feb 6) and during about the first week and a half it was beautiful. start right up and no hesitation at all. Now i get hesitation but as of last night it will start with no add gas from the throttle (1/32in- turn (i would only have to turn it till the slack was gone)). ill pick up some seafoam tonight and add it to my next fuel up one i run the motor to stuttering on reserve (cant drain the fuel where i live :( ). would NGK iridium plugs be better than say ngk standard?

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Did you add gas during that first period or was that running on whatever fuel the PO had in the tank when you bought it?
If everything started after fill up, it certainly supports the bad fuel theory. Unless you're nearly empty now, I'd really be inclined to get that fuel out. Just pull the fuel line after the petcock and drain it into a gas can - worry about what to do with it later.

Either way, get some quality fuel, add the $9 seafoam, and put some miles on the bike to get the carbs cleaned out. No guarantee it will work, but it's a cheap, easy, fun (you get to ride :) way to rule out bad fuel before pulling the carbs.

Most importantly, stop twisting the throttle at startup = bad, bad, bad. Just use the choke and hold the starter button until it fires up (no more than 45-seconds but should fire in 5-10 seconds even on cold start). You may have to adjust the choke while holding the starter to get the right position, but move the choke at least to the half-point once it fires up.

As for the plugs, I'm no expert but Yamaha recommends the NGK BPR7ES for the vstar 1100 -- I couldn't find the recommended plug for the 650. The R indicates a resistor in the plug, which I believe is present in all the NGK Iridium plugs, but not sure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The fuel was fresh from dealer and like I said the bike is starting to run better with the premium gas I put in. The tank its almost empty anyways

Ill check for plugs for my bike I was just wondering if iridium is worth the extra money

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill just use Bosch split fire plugs lmao

Ngk seems to be more fuel effecint than autoite

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What major companies (bp Hess etc) has quality gas. I live in polk county fl so like all gas companies listed in one post I have not heard of

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Which is mobile one syn as good as amsoil (price to quality to change intervals) and should I get 10w-40 or 20w-50 I live in Florida. Is fram a decent filter or is there a better one thats not more than 5-10$

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I'm no gasoline expert, but I suspect if you stay with a major brand you'll be safer. BP, Shell, etc. . .

As for the oil, you'll find a lot of heated opinions. That said, I use Mobile One Full Synthetic and it seems to be a respected choice among forum members. I don't know what part of Florida (not that it would matter) and I don't know how cold it gets, but I know of no reason you would need anything other than 20w-50 though anything from 10w-40 through 20w-50 would be fine.

Finally, you'll get a lot of heated discussion on filters also. That said, I don't believe anyone has ever stated that Fram is a quality choice (though some have said it really doesn't matter so long as you change it often). Given that you can find a high quality filter for the same price, I'm not sure it matters. I use the K&N version for my ride simply b/c I like the brand and I found it on Amazon for $8 shipped. Emgo and Wix get positive reviews, and the NAPA brand does well also (I think it is made by one of the manufacturers I just mentioned).

Good luck - keep us posted on how the fuel change and cleaning works out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in central FL it gets about 30 at night (dont usually ride during the night) and high of 45 (blue moon cold high) as the coldest temp but the average winter temp is about 50 during the winter (speradic) and 80-110 in the summer.

I changed the fuel out put in seafoam in the tank and gonna change spark plugs as well tonight. I have to ride about 45 minutes out on I-4 so i will get a decent ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The bike starts right up with no hesitation on warm starts and on cold starts its about 1-2 seconds
This is a sound clip of my bike in nutral on a warm start http://db.tt/9xH2xbON
The audio make suck but if you listen you can hear it stutter. Ill get a clip of cold start to let u listen to it sounds its knocking but only on a cold start (choked for about a minute)

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well it sounds like things are improving - right?

If its starting up with just the choke and no throttle in just a few seconds when cold that sounds good. If you can drop the choke within a few minutes then even better.

If its stumbling/sputtering at idle but running fine when actually riding (using throttle) then you likely have a clogged/varnished idler jet (very tiny holes = easily clogged).

However, have you adjusted the idle at all (on purpose or accidentally)? Before resolving to replace the idler jets, definitely worth adjusting/checking the idle setting.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell much from the sound clip. Sound is really hard to capture accurately outside of a sound studio. Anyone who ever tried to select an exhaust system based on YouTube videos if sound really knows this :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts