Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in anticipation of good weather finally coming I changed my oil and filter. I let it run for about 15 minutes then opened up the 3 drain plugs and removed the filter. No oil was dripping when I put the plugs back in and filter on. The bike takes 5.5 quarts. I filled the filter and started adding oil. At 4.5 quarts the funnel started backing up and overflowing. Big mess on the garage floor. So the only thing I can think of of is that because of the long cold winter maybe I didn't let it warm up enough and the thick oil didn't drain?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
It would have to be well below freezing while you were draining the oil for it to be thick

I dont have the same bike, but have you changed the oil before? Maybe you need to start it up for a few minutes for the oil to pump up into the other sections. If it has 3 drain plugs, there are 3 places where the oil accumulates.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fresh oil was thick from being in the garage. I wasn't patient by letting it drain down into the engine and pan. When I checked in the evening it was low. Most of the issues I've ever had in life are due to impatience. One more lesson learned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need to add only about 3 quarts first, then run the engine for about 30 seconds or so. That lets the first 3 quarts pump to other areas of the engine. Then after that, put in the rest of the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts