Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks ago I went to Tampa to visit family. Put over 2300 miles on the 950T throughout the trip. Averaged 80mph most of the way, bike did great, and I learned some things. It'll cruise at 80, but 85-90 it'll go from cruise to full throttle rpms. Fastest I've ever had it was 105, even downhill. This trip I made 110mph once, don't know why, different fuel? Downhill? Wind? All three? I dunno.

So I rode from Hot Springs, AR to Pensacola Beach FL in one day, stayed the night, and then headed to Tampa the next day. On the way home I rode past Pensacola, past Mobile, AL into a little town called Lucedale MS. Stayed the night and headed home. The ride there was fair weather in the 60s, but on the return trip it was low to mid 50s with a 32 degree morning. I wasn't a happy camper but I made it.

Wouldn't hesitate taking my Vstar anywhere. Batwing woulda been nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And the last one to upload

Oh! And at those speeds, I was averaging 38mpg which really threw me off instead of my normal 52mpg. So for the first time ever, I ran out of gas on a bike. My light was on at around 123 miles everytime (instead of the 160-166mpg). So I knew I needed gas, but I just happened to be in a spot that was long between gas stations. Well finally after about 20 miles of my light being on it starts to putter, then buck and about 3 miles of this I thought it was the end of the world. Long story short luck was on my side, and after a lot of restarts and dying, it finally quit on me on the otherside of an intersection of a gas station. So I only had to push it about 100 feet! The tank is 4.2gal, I put in 4.220.

So if you're on flat road and you run outa gas, you still have around 3 miles of running on "fumes".

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lady luck must have been your co-pilot. It's amazing how mpg drops when you cruise at 80 mph or more.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Looks like you had a good trip there MSP, nice pics and I agree that lady luck was on your side. I also would like to know how the hand deflectors worked. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do their job. When it gets super cold you can stay out much longer. Sure they still get cold, but that's just the general temperature, and the handlebars stealing your warmth.

On the trip back, the 2nd day when it started at 32 degrees outside, I had my insulated gauntlet gloves, with two hand warmers in each glove.

But I remember riding my 06 Vstar 650 and my hands went numb pretty darn quick. This year went strolling around for 45 mins before my hands finally went numb. On this particular trip, had I not had those hand warmers though, I wouldn't have made it far, or I would have stopped often to warm them up, deflectors or not. They came with the bike, so I don't know the cost. I'd still like to have heated grips or heated gloves.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quick question Mr. Schaefer did you do all those miles on a stock seat!?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question Mr. Schaefer did you do all those miles on a stock seat!?
Sure did! I had more uncomfortableness going down, then coming back. So either my mind was more focused on the cold, or my ass toughened up from the trip down there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sure did! I had more uncomfortableness going down, then coming back. So either my mind was more focused on the cold, or my ass toughened up from the trip down there.
You sir are my hero! That's a hell of a long ride on the stock pan.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Man I sure second that.
Maybe it was the overpants I bought while I was in FL there that gave me some extra cushion on the way back? :confused: Or maybe I needa do iron butt challenges??? :grin:

your hands went numb after 45 minutes WITH hand warmers?
Nah, lemme clarify. One random day a while back I tested out my gloves in below freezing weather, and I did 45 minutes before they went numb and I went home.

The trip from Tampa I had hand warmers in, and I lasted all day. Now, I barely did. It kept the top of my hands, and palms super toasty, but that didnt necessarily go to my fingers. There were some times that morning I was close to pulling over, and a few times I would pull my fingers into a ball in my glove and hold onto the warmer, very unsafely, trying to roll the throttle with a closed fist inside a thick insulated glove... but it did keep me going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts