Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoyed my new 2009 Road Star for a couple of hundred miles.
Wife and I gassed up and It started cutting out real bad.
Thought it was bad gas so I put a water remover and cleaner in it.
Helped a little and made it 75 miles home.
Her bike was fine.
Now it's misfiring and cutting out. Took it in under warranty.
Waiting to hear back. 1st instinct is something in the fuel line or injectors.
Glad I have a backup bike :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shortly after buying my 08 FI Road Star, I noticed my back plugs were fouling. It caused rough running at first, then fouled plugs. I thought it was bad O2 sensors, then I thought it was faulty or plugged Fuel Injectors. Maybe bad coils?
What it turned out to be was the Vacuum line that runs from the "Air Intake Pressure Sensor" to in Intake manifold air nipple, right on top of the intake manifold. (right between the injectors). The sensor is under your Gas tank, front left side.
Where the Vacuum line attaches to the nipple, had swollen and gotten soft, then developed a split down the side and eventually broke off. This lack of vacuum signal made the injectors run extremely rich.
I replaced the Vacuum tubing with some Silicone Vacuum tubing from NAPA, 5/32" or 4mm. I rerouted the new line in a gentle curve so as not to kink. I think all the other wire bundles that were laying on top of this hose it what caused the damage.
This very simple $3 repair requires removing of the fuel tank completely. You cannot see either end of the hose or sensor with the tank still on. When I removed mine it was easy to see the intake end was damaged (swollen and soft) from it's close proximity to fuel.

If your are running a FI bike I recommend changing out this hose next time you have your tank off. It only takes a tiny amount of air slipping through to make your wonderful bike to run crappy.
Don't just pull your tank and look at the hose, take it off and just replace it, you won't believe the difference it makes, even when the damage is slight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gadgetman.
I just got an answer. There is varnish in the tank on a new bike.
Dealer says Yamaha fires the bike at the factory. Yamaha says they do not add fuel.
So where did the varnish come from?
Dealer is on my side and wants a new tank, regulator, and injectors under warranty.
Yamaha is shipping a new tank only and the dealer is going to goodwill the labor for me.
We will see how it does after a good cleaning of the fuel system.
It better be right Yamaha!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's GREAT news. This event also makes note of a "fuel related issue" for a FI bike, and the remedy. Thanks for posting your progress. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked the bike up and it runs like a scalded dog again :D
Yamaha shipped a new tank and fuel pump assembly and the dealer good willed the labor.
Thanks to Yamaha of Louisville in Kentucky for backing me up on this

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yamaha of Louisville: *check*

Thanks for the update. :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
2fas4u, nice user name(but I doubt it;)) Hummmm, Let's see here, 2013(damn near14)-2009 =4 years at least. They ought to throwed in a new set of tires too, huh? Leaves the Ol Bear a bit bumfuzzled:confused:
Maybe a nice ad for Yamaha of Louisville?:rolleyes:

Glad things worked out for you:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2fas4u, nice user name(but I doubt it;)) Hummmm, Let's see here, 2013(damn near14)-2009 =4 years at least. They ought to throwed in a new set of tires too, huh? Leaves the Ol Bear a bit bumfuzzled:confused:
Maybe a nice ad for Yamaha of Louisville?:rolleyes:

Glad things worked out for you:D
The nickname is from my old drag racing days :D
I pushed as hard as I could with the Yamaha factory rep.
They did not want to honor the warranty at first.
The dealer backed me up all the way and gained my trust.
I'll mention advertising on the forum to them ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts