Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '05' RSTD and I want to put together a compact emergency tool kit since the original tool kit didn't come with the bike.

What should be included? What size wrenches/scockets/Allen Keys ect... Any specialized tools?

I'm sure there's a post about this somewhere I just couldn't find it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a front fork bag that as a flat repair kit, one flare, a utillty pocket knife and a multi allen tool. I can take most anything off and back on with that setup and I can fix a flat. Other than that I have AAA

·
Registered
421 Posts
So, when you travel in your car, what tools do you carry? Do you think your motorcycle is any less reliable than your car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tools for the road

I would NEVER leave home without my cell phone and a credit card. I also carry the following:
Tire plug kit and a tire pressure gauge
Multi-tool that has about a dozen allen wrenches (Cruz Tools I think)
Gerber Multi-tool that has a vice-grip, phillips/straight blade screwdrivers, file and pry bar, serrated knife blade, and bottle-opener
An electric tire pump.
Flat-tires are my primary concern on the road, anything more and I'm having it towed to a local dealership/shop/home. Since cruisers typically don't have center-stands, I don't see trying to remove a wheel on the side of the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best advice I was ever given was to do your regular maintenance with the same tools you carry on the bike.. If you never use a tool the you don't need it. If you can't do something without a tool you will know fast enough..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
689 Posts
So, when you travel in your car, what tools do you carry? Do you think your motorcycle is any less reliable than your car?
- Yes, motorcycles do tend to be less reliable than cars
- Yes, I do carry a tool kit in both my car and my truck. And those tool kits are larger since space and weight are not such a concern.
- Even with equal reliability, you are more likely to need tools to work on your bike simply because there are fewer places that are willing and able to work on bikes.
- This doesn't apply to everybody but most bikers I know like to get out away from everything, finding some nice twisty country roads to enjoy. Twisty roads are more likely to be around hills and hills block cell phone signals. There's rarely a weekend that I don't spend at least a few hours in dead zones, where breaking down means either fixing it myself or doing several miles of hiking to find a place I can get a signal to call for a tow truck. It would be the same problem if I broke down in a car, but since I don't drive a sports car I have no reason to go looking for that type of road in my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts