Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
New member here from Manchester UK, hope you’re all doing well under the current circumstances.

I have a 2005 1100 and although I’m aware these aren’t “fast” bikes I feel like I can’t possibly be getting what I should out of it. The bike shoots up to 60mph without even trying but anything past that is a real struggle. It’ll get to 70mph and then pretty much refuses to go any faster. I’m pretty sure that a cruising speed of 90mph should be easily doable but it genuinely feels like the revs stop increasing once I get to 70mph and I can’t pick up any more speed.
Any input would be appreciated.

jamie.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The top speed on a naked 1100 is over 100mph - unless you were riding into a 40mph head wind, sitting up straight, with a big windshield on the bike, something is wrong.

Check your airfilter - if its not white like paper (if its grey like an old shop rag) replace it - the air filters are small and easily block the airflow when they are dirty. Forget that nonsense about blowing the dust off with compressed air - get a new one.

Get a bottle of fuel additive cleaner (Seafoam is my favorite in the US) and add to your gas as the label recommends.

Run regular gas - its not designed for hi octane, it will run lean on premium and lose power.

Pull your plugs and see what they look like: fouled, black , burnt white..... If they dont look nearly new replace them.

BTW, Where are you riding 70mph in England?!

If you do all this and the bike does not wake up in 100 miles of hard riding (giving the carb cleaner time to work)
then you need to do a compression test, replace the fuel filter, check your gas tank for rust... and maybe clean the carbs manually, adjust and sych them

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for that, that’s really helpful advice.
I do know that the bike has had straight through slash cut exhausts fitted by the previous owner. I had a garage balance the carbs etc as the previous owner hadn’t done this and although it’s stopped the constant backfiring on the overrun it hasn’t done anything for the performance. Could fitting the standard exhausts again complete with baffles help? It is currently a ridiculously loud exhaust.

you’re right there’s not many places in England to get up any real speed but on the few occasions I get the chance, Motorways etc I want to know I can.

thanks again
Jamie.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
If the only mod was putting the straight pipes on (no change to the air intake) then you might lose a few HP from the loss of continuous flow out the exhaust

but I dont think it would be enough to drop from 100 to 70mph on the top speed.

The top speed is actually dictated by the rev limiter - the bike will hit the limiter if you are tucked in and going down a bit of hill over 100mph - so you are not even close.

I would baffle the exhaust no matter what, because sounding like a Cessna taking off all the time would drive me batty.

With a carb cleaner added to the fuel you will need it ride it hard (throttle wide open) as often as possible, the cleaner only works when its flowing thru the jets
and the main jets only open when you are past 1/2 throttle twist - esp going up hill, WFO for a bit, then back off, and WFO again...

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, I’ll go ahead with baffling the exhaust then. Ive bought the standard silencers so maybe that’ll give me back a few HP as it’s still running the standard air intake. I’ll definitely get some carb cleaner too. I ride it pretty hard anyway so no problem there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Just to be clear: you want a fuel additive you pour into the gas tank

some something you spray into the carb air intake....

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
72 Posts
bike is governed at 100 mph, but i wouldn't recommend it. i did it and i think i hurt the engine, now it doen't sound right.

did you balance the carbs yet?

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Not sure I understand. What don’t you recommend? Yes the garage balanced the carbs for me, tried a couple of different sized jets too. Ended up almost back at standard though.

·
Super Moderator
3,253 Posts
I ran my 1100 at 90 mph for about 20 miles once keeping up with a bunch of Harley riders. I still had a little bit left and there were no ill effects. These bikes are designed to run and they'll do it all day. KCW knows his stuff. Try his suggestions and you should see an improvement.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Enstyn is recommending you do not ride your bike any long distance at 100mph

I want to make sure: do you have a big windshield on the bike?

were you riding into a strong headwind when it maxed out a 70mph?

try the seafoam or carb cleaner in the fuel, maybe check your fuel filter (or replace it)

and go from there.

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, no windshield. Very wide bars though so aerodynamics not the best but no headwind. Bike only has 3500k on clock but will definitely get air and fuel filter changed, spark plugs etc when it has an oil and filter in a couple of months and go from there. Will also try the fuel additive. With so few miles on a 15 year old bike it may need running in properly if it’s been sat still for long periods.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
117 Posts
Run it up to where it starts to get flat, shut it off and pull a sparkplug and see if it's rich or lean. If jetting made no difference, the air filter is in good shape and the float height is good , then I would be looking at fuel flow. The problem may lie in fuel delivery, a failing pump or petcock maybe. Could be as simple as a restrictive fuel filter. A good indicator that it's a fuel flow issue is it will rev up ok in the lower gears but gets flat when you load it hard in hi gear

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had more than one customer with this same complaint after they either installed a K&N or other performance air filter system, modified the airbox (or removed the lid completely on certain bikes), or installed performance pipes, or any combination thereof.

Just taking a guess without actually hearing the bike run in person, I'd say it still needs to go up another size or 2, or more, on the main jet.

Before diving into the carbs, make sure the air filter is CLEAN, fuel tank is venting properly, and the fuel level / float height is set correctly, if it's adjustable, and also make sure neither of your brake calipers are hanging up and dragging the brakes. A quick ride while limiting brake use will tell you by brake rotor temperature.

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks very much. This is really helpful. I did get the jets increased by 4 sizes to accommodate the pipes that had been put on (apparently this was recommended by Yamsha) but then the bike was running too rich so in the end jets ended up only one size up from standard. I’m starting to think there might be a fuel flow issue. It does seem to require the reserve way before it should. In fact the other day I noticed that despite there being loads of fuel in the tank it would only start on the reserve and then I could switch the tap to the on position.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
run it on reserve all the time and see if your performance improves

the reserve position takes fuel from the bottom of the tank, thru a different screen - the normal position intake is about a inch or two higher

its possible the normal intake screen is clogged and the reserve one is not

or empty your tank and pull it out and inspect/clean it

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
just reset your trip odo everytime you fill up

and make sure you dont run out of fuel - that is the only purpose of the reserve function on a motorcycle - there is no fuel gauge

for the purpose of seeing if the petcock is the issue, running about 50 miles on the reserve position should answer it.

·
Registered
Yamaha XVS 1100 Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks man, I’ll give that a go. I hope it’s something simple. It’s not often I have any need to go faster than 70mph but I want to know I can and that I’m getting what I should out of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts