Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new rider, bought a creampuff V Star 250. It cost me two grand, 6 months' liability was 19 bucks, and I filled it up for $3.
I live up in the mountains with lots of empty beautiful roads, and the weather is perfect. I'm 56 and haven't ridden since college, I'm 180 lbs with a 29 inch inseam. A 300 lb bike with a low seat makes me feel like I'm in control of it. I can crank the throttle all I want and 21 horsepower isn't going to fling me into a canyon while I get my clutch and steering skills dialed. My guru was pushing me pretty hard to get a "real" motorcycle and deal with a steep learning curve, but so far I'm thrilled with my decision.
I'm new to this forum, so at the bottom of this message I shall attempt to put two links which more than anything decided me on a 250. One is a fantastic ride demo, the other a list of rational reasons to start on a 250.

Top 5 Reasons to Start on a 250cc Motorcycle | Best Beginner Motorcycles

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have found the 250 Star to be quite a decent bike. I have ridden mine some 11000 miles, including rides across the Rocky Mountain National Park and up both Mount Evans and Pikes Peak. Frankly, I like it better than any of the bigger bikes I have ridden.

Mine has averaged between 79 and 80 miles per gallon with a Plexifairing 3 windshield, and I usually ride at or near the legal speed limit (places like Wyoming's 80 mph Interstate excepted). Its practical range from full to Reserve is usually about 120 - 130 miles. Oil consumption so far has been very little. Keep an eye on the chain, since it is not an O-ring type. I use gear oil to lubricate mine (85W-140, since that is what I have on hand) and I believe it works better than any of the commercial chain lubes your local bike shop will want to sell you. But it does fling off. I replaced the original rear tire at about 5800 miles, as it had worn pretty thin. The Pirelli tire with which I replaced it seems to be lasting much longer.

Yamaha designed the front fender much more for looks than for practicality. As a result, the front tire will throw water on your feet if you ride on wet roads.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Pike's Peak! Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Mine has 19k miles and a O-ring chain, I live in bone-dry New Mexico, so I just put some chain wax on it.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
My girlfriend and I were just talking about this. She is tall, and everyone tried to tell her not to buy a 250, that it would be too small for her, and she would outgrow it too quick..yada yada. She rode it a summer, sold it for what she paid for it, and got thousands of miles experience over that summer including riding it down the dragon. She has no regrets. I didn't have to buy one as my boyfriend had one in the stable but I would have had no regrets either. The confidence and skills you build are totally worth it. And if you aren't doing lots of highway riding, a 250 is a total blast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts