Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At age 56, purchasing first bike. Clean 08 V Star 250 on deposit hold for a week.
Haven't ridden since college, not much even then.
Took the safety course, decided to start small, plus I think the little 250 is just cool as hell.

Single Dad, I gave my teen son my word that I'd be safe. So I'm getting a hi-vis jacket, Icon boots, and a blinker for the brake light.

I'm in Santa Fe, traffic is light and mellow, lots of great roads.

Now if the snow would just melt...

·
Registered
90 Posts
dobro, welcome from Waldorf MD! I did likewise, got my first bike at 52, VStar 650 Silverado, and now I have a VStar 950 Tourer. You'll enjoy it! I would have deep regrets had I not followed my dream of riding a motorcycle. I didn't want to be 75 and saying "what if I...." My wife wasn't a fan of me riding but I told her I couldn't let her kill my dream. She's cool with it now and I'm THRILLED! Be safe when the snow melts!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
At age 56, purchasing first bike. Clean 08 V Star 250 on deposit hold for a week.
Haven't ridden since college, not much even then.
Took the safety course, decided to start small, plus I think the little 250 is just cool as hell.

Single Dad, I gave my teen son my word that I'd be safe. So I'm getting a hi-vis jacket, Icon boots, and a blinker for the brake light.

I'm in Santa Fe, traffic is light and mellow, lots of great roads.

Now if the snow would just melt...
the 250s are nice but you may out grow it rather quickly. how big are you and do you travel the interstates at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 5'7" on a good day, 29" inseam. I never plan to ride the interstate on it, I just decided to not be a big shot and pretend I have skills right now. One thing which persuaded me, I've had MGBs and Miatas. Driving full-out, redlining gears, and never really going stupid fast is a real kick. I see online gripes about 110mph top speeds...well, that ain't me.
Figure I'll move up in July.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Total Noob

Welcome from Durango, Colorado. Familiar with your beautiful area.
Rode through Sante Fe and Taos couple times last year. Have ridden various bikes throughout New Mexico over the years. Also have had MGB, Austin Healeys, etc. Currently have an 02 Honda S2000 which has been covered in snow the past six weeks! I started out with a 90cc bike called a Pointer many years ago. Good luck with your new ride. Be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome Took my ABATE motorcycle training on Yamaha 250, nice adequate bike to get the feel of riding again.
I used to own a 1991 BRG Mazda Miata-I think I have more room on my VSTAR 1300!!
The car was a lot of fun and very reliable.
Ride safe

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I too just recently acquired a Miata. Great little car, and lots of fun to drive. But I don't think it'll be a problem deciding which to take on the nice days, even with the convertible top. It does help a little bit with chasing away the ride withdrawal shakes though during these months. You'll be amazed at the difference in the ride when you decide to upgrade your machine, whether riding interstate or just back side roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan.
I have to ask about the username though.
Is that dobro like the stringed instrument, or like the little Pillsbury guy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts