Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all wondering if anyone has used one of the aftermarket trunks with good results? I ordered one this summer had it on for a while but was never happy with how it looked. It just seemed to sit higher then it should. Now I did not use the brackets that came with the tour pack as they did not fit my bike even though it said was made for it. Cheap eBay stuff of course. I had just placed it on my luggage rack and bolted it to that. Looking online it seemed like it was about the same height as other v stars. Thoughts opinions welcome I was thinking of flipping the luggage rack around see if it drops it a bit or make a new bracket all togather

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Your luggage rack looks like it is at an unusual height (high). Mine is just a few inches above the rear fender and license plate. And looks to be lower than yours. I'm thinking that's what makes it look odd.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your luggage rack looks like it is at an unusual height (high). Mine is just a few inches above the rear fender and license plate. And looks to be lower than yours. I'm thinking that's what makes it look odd.
Right! So this is a oem yamaha luggage rack the trunk is mounted to. I wanted to try my best to not to put holes in it but I have a feeling some drilling and re mounting will in my near future. Here is a pic without the trunk compared to yours yes it super high

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the pic you can see the new saddle bag test fit amazing how small they are that's one reason I need to get the trunk figured out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I guess the answer depends on whether you have a budget to spend or not. I think the Wompus racks are great as trunk specific mounts, but they'll cost you a couple hundred bucks shipped.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I also have a Wompus rack and highly recommend it, definitely sturdier than most. I have a Shad 50L top case with quick release so I usually only have it on the bike (2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe) when we ride 2-up or I need to bring a bike cover along. Not a cruiser style, but I had it on my previous bike (BMW R1200) and the gray/black color sorta matches the bike. I still haven't figured out how to get a photo to load, sorry.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a nice rack for sure! Right now the budget won't allow that its sad because the Yamaha one in my picture was 180 damn near as much I went that route because I was told by JP cycles the cobra would not fit with a stock sissy bar mount. Dang why is this the first time I have seen this. I think I'm going to play with height and drill and tap the current one. I think what throws me off a lot is the ultra classic parked next to my bike and how good Harley made the OEM pack fit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well had every good intention of working on the tour pack but got the saddle bags installed instead still need to run the wires for lights hope tomorrow is nice I can get back out there

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Flipping the rack seems like a legitimate thing to try...free! I only wonder if the curved part of the underside would push the box away some. Hard to tell from the pic.
If it did, you could always cut a "relief" into the box to slide over the rack up tight, then fiberglass from the inside to re-seal it. My 2¢.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same hard bags and haven't wired them yet. Any ideas of how you r going to wire them?
Not sure yet I think I'm going to just wire them to run power u see the seat in the fuse box. I kinda like the idea of removing the facotry rear turn signal bar and using these as turn signals but this would require a bit more work since these use a single filament bulb and I would kinda like them running and turn signal. Once I get back out there I will take some pics for you. Dang relatives kid birthday party then bronco game and tonight snow I won't be back in the garage for a few days I'm sure

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that's about where I would like mine to sit. This cold snap has ruined my plans past few days. Funny how last Friday we were coated in ice Saturday in the mid 50s. snow and cold the last couple of days. I even got my throttle boss for my ISO grips last night as I contemplated running out to the garage real quick since it's only 4 screws I got that look from my wife and decided to stay in the house lmao.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've learned not to talk about the new parts or even mention that they have come in. I like to save those times I get "the look" for the big things......like the motorcycle in the first place. The look I got about that will last a couple more years! LOL

·
Registered
419 Posts
I guess the answer depends on whether you have a budget to spend or not. I think the Wompus racks are great as trunk specific mounts, but they'll cost you a couple hundred bucks shipped.

Pangea33 I'm looking at buying this rack from Wompus and I have some questions if you can answers them...Are they good solid quality racks? And I have the Yamaha quick release backrest with hard Edge bags would i need to buy longer bolts to make them all fit properly?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Obviously it depends on what bolts are currently used, but I had plenty of room. My original setup had the sissy bar rails and saddlebag brackets mounted. I removed the bolts and inserted the truck in between those two, then put the same bolts back in with loctite. It's only about 3/16" thick and there were even longer bolts provided. I just didn't like them because they were black like the rack.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and providing me your feedback. I think that's been the quickest so far. By the way the rack and trunk look good...nice and levelled

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Braved the cold last night and got the throttle boss on. A little mad i could not find my metric allen set. Nothing like sharing a garage! :mad:
Anyway with the sae set was able to get it on just not tight no need risking anything. supposed to be warm tomorrow hopefully back to the trunk!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Flipping the rack seems like a legitimate thing to try...free! I only wonder if the curved part of the underside would push the box away some. Hard to tell from the pic.
If it did, you could always cut a "relief" into the box to slide over the rack up tight, then fiberglass from the inside to re-seal it. My 2¢.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest after looking at the pics. And like Radar said, its free and you have nothing to lose by trying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts