1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd look into getting a good tour bag instead of a trunk. By the time you pay for the trunk, mount and paint your out a chunk of cash. I have a Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bag for my 950 and it's off the bike in 30 seconds when I get where I'm going.

Flip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have one on my 1300 and I like it. I would not hesitate to get one for my wifes 950. Brake lights in the wing, and the extra tail lights are a great plus in my opinion. (it is the DB trunk)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, so i'm wanting to put a touring trunk on my 950 tourer. I can't tell from pics if they will look good on the bike or not...
Just to be sure all the facts are in play here, dj...
You DO know, don't you, that any sissy bar has to come off to install the trunk. I know... I know... they come with a cute little passenger backrest. But whenever I take to the road, I NEED the storage space offered by my sissy bar touring bag. And I DON'T want to be putting on and taking off my sissy bar for every highway ride.
My wife and I both have a really versatile combo bag that can be used in many configurations. Take a look at this post:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?p=1523647&highlight=#1523647
That's also a nice bag flip180 has on his bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey flip. when you load up that tour bag, how much does that affect your balance and handling? I've seen those and considered it, but didn't like having 'stuff' stacked outside the "load triangle". Want to take some long rides (1000 + miles) this summer and that looks like it would fit the bill.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
tour bags

I too like the tour bag approach, I have one that is not a brand name, but it matched my stock Silverado bags perfect, buckles, studs ect. I mount it the same way as Flip has his in his picture he posted, so as for throwing the balance off, it does not(for me), it would be hard to load one up with clothes ect that would weigh more than a pass sitting there, if she were going, things may be different, never tryed that. The tour bag is great when you stop for the day on a long run, unstrap and take it all in, suits me great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The trick to keep in mind is pretty simple:

The HEAVIER the item is, the LOWER on the bike it should be packed.
My tools and cooking gear and liquids are in the saddlebags... with my heavy tent strapped on top. Above that level, the system continues: Heavy jeans and the first aid kit are at the bottom of my touring bag; lighter items are on top.
You'd have to pack an awful lot of gear-- and pack it badly-- to be as unwieldy as carrying an adult passenger.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bags

I'm sure the extra weight up high on the bike changes things some but, I have never noticed the difference. I use a Rally pack. I probably catch a little more wind if there is a cross wind.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
The trick to keep in mind is pretty simple:

The HEAVIER the item is, the LOWER on the bike it should be packed.
My tools and cooking gear and liquids are in the saddlebags... with my heavy tent strapped on top. Above that level, the system continues: Heavy jeans and the first aid kit are at the bottom of my touring bag; lighter items are on top.
You'd have to pack an awful lot of gear-- and pack it badly-- to be as unwieldy as carrying an adult passenger.
Yeah old fella,keepin it smple sounds good to me,stacking it right is really going to help & with the weight over the back wheel,it would be like carrying the old lady.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Real easy if you have the luggage rack. It uses a couple of cross bars that go under the rack and bolt through the bottom of the trunk. The hardest part is wiring it the first time, and that is not really a big deal. I put a flat 4 type trailer plug on it so that it can come off fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I tried the great idea of a tail bag, and it failed miserably. When we went inside to eat, it wasn't lockable. So when I came outside, guess what... it was gone! along with both of our rain suits. And I know what you might say, why didnt you sit where you could see your bike? It was Lamberts and there was NO possibility of doing such.

And since I'm already raving mad, yes i DO know you have to remove the sissy bar, and I DON'T give a crap. Its a permanent mount and I don't plan on removing it. Not to mention the rain soaked what was in the bag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE: I tried the great idea of a tail bag, and it failed miserably. When we went inside to eat, it wasn't lockable. So when I came outside, guess what... it was gone! along with both of our rain suits. And I know what you might say, why didnt you sit where you could see your bike? It was Lamberts and there was NO possibility of doing such.

And since I'm already raving mad, yes i DO know you have to remove the sissy bar, and I DON'T give a crap. Its a permanent mount and I don't plan on removing it. Not to mention the rain soaked what was in the bag.
Are you sure you're not related to my wife?
She likes to blame all her bonehead stunts on other people, too... usually ME, so I'm used to it.
Meanwhile, we've both ridden more than 5,000 miles with the removable bags on our bikes, and NO ONE has ever "removed" them but us. Of course we're pretty carefule about where we park our bikes and how long we leave them out of view.
Nonetheless, if my wife ever loses hers... I'm sure that will be MY fault, not hers.
See you at the family reunion. -OBF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you sure you're not related to my wife?
She likes to blame all her bonehead stunts on other people, too... usually ME, so I'm used to it.
Meanwhile, we've both ridden more than 5,000 miles with the removable bags on our bikes, and NO ONE has ever "removed" them but us. Of course we're pretty carefule about where we park our bikes and how long we leave them out of view.
Nonetheless, if my wife ever loses hers... I'm sure that will be MY fault, not hers.
See you at the family reunion. -OBF
In hopes of not to visit high school again, I don't think we need to carry on a back and forth "my dad can beat up your dad". But not once did I blame anyone especially YOU! :eek:The situation was a one-in a -million chance of happening. I have ridden 2000 miles with it, and it never happened before. It just secures my thoughts now for a locking trunk. I was just sharing an update. But your right, they work great for little trips to keep clothes in and maybe later on I might switch back to it. I thank you for the advise on the bag, it worked for the time being. so i hope we can get this little tif behind us and exchange experience and such as this forum was made. Ride Safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts