Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the transfer case fill plug. I do not want to mess up the slot.
Screwdriver fits in sloppy so I did not use that.
Tried a giant fender washer that fit perfect but could not budge it.
Clamped vice grips on the washer and it just twisted the washer.
Any tricks removing the fill plug?
The slot is still in good shape.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Have you sprayed PB Blaster on it, let is sit, then bang it with a hammer?
Sometimes & if you can. Using a propane torch to heat it up a little can help loosen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an impact driver but the blade on the bit is not thick enough.
I will try some penetrating oil and heat if needed.
Tried to use my fat bladed screwdriver and tapped on it but did nothing and don't want to hoopajoop the slot.
I will get some sea foam deep creep.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! Shot some on blaster on it, put my fat bladed screwdriver in the slot, gave it a couple sharp taps with a hammer then took another washer with vice grips on it and loosened right up!
So after I fill it should I just tighten it until it stops so I won't have this problem again?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
156 Posts
--

It will probably weep a little no matter how tight. Mine does. I just give the area a little wipe when I stop for gas. Next time I change, I might see if I can get a thicker O-ring. I also use an Y-shaped wrench that I got on line. I'd link but I can't find one on line now.

--

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let it drain overnight. I did not bother with the weep hole. I just put in 14 ounces of synthetic 75/140 gl4 compatible gear oil. Done deal.
Waiting for block off plates kit to come today and will work on ais removal tomorrow.
Might remove the tank and change the plugs while I am at it. I am sure that's long overdue also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts