Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Completely new to riding and ran into an issue while it yesterday. My engine still runs but no power going to the rear wheel at all. The bike free rolls when pushed and I can hear a grinding sound. I'm thinking it might be the drive shaft. Can't get it into the shop until Tuesday.

Anyone run into an issue like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Most likely culprit is with the drive shaft where it connects to the final drive, or the final drive itself. You need to take things apart to verify with certainty. Not a difficult job if you have a way to elevate the rear wheel. But before you do anything, could you please verify whether the gap between your final drive and your rear wheel is even or not all around the circumference?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey all. Completely new to riding and ran into an issue while it yesterday. My engine still runs but no power going to the rear wheel at all. The bike free rolls when pushed and I can hear a grinding sound. I'm thinking it might be the drive shaft. Can't get it into the shop until Tuesday.

Anyone run into an issue like this?

Thanks
I suspect one of the drive splines have stripped, usually from lack of lubrication. The splines are the universal joint, each end of the drive shaft, the coupling connecting the drive shaft to the pinion gear shaft and the final drive to wheel hub. Depending on which gave up the ghost, some have individual replacement parts, others require replacement of the entire final drive. You can check parts sites like Partzilla. The diagram below is for a 2007. Here's to hoping its a cheap coupling.... good luck.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,117 Posts
Sounds more like the middle drive shaft to me. Threads on the end of item 5 have sheared off.

Reactions: robbyk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I will bet anyone on here it is part # 27 the coupler that connects the driveshaft to the differential.
If the driveshaft turns and the wheel doesn't 9 times out of 10 on the XVS 650 that is the problem. it is located under that 4 bolt cone # 35

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will bet anyone on here it is part # 27 the coupler that connects the driveshaft to the differential.
If the driveshaft turns and the wheel doesn't 9 times out of 10 on the XVS 650 that is the problem. it is located under that 4 bolt cone # 35
It is currently at the shop. It had a driveshaft replacement with a used driveshaft at 17.5k miles. It's currently at 27.3k miles. I should know in the next few days. (They offered to replace it with yet another used driveshaft, the former owner ok'd this) I'll keep you guys updated.

Ray

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Did you check wheel alignment?

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
253 Posts
It should last more than 10k miles. With properly greased and aligned splines you should NEVER have a problem.
I would not trust a shop to take the time to check and shim the rear end. You should do it yourself so you know it is done right and will last.
I wouldn't want the rear drive to wear out as fast as the tires!

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just heard from the shop. The final drive failed. Now to look for a replacement for a decent price.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
385 Posts
Damn - that's bad luck...
I thought I might need one so was looking back in March of this year. The cheapest one I found was at a breakers in Phoenix - Bob's Motorcycle Parts. It was $250... I didn't buy it in the end so might be worth checking to see if they still have it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn - that's bad luck...
I thought I might need one so was looking back in March of this year. The cheapest one I found was at a breakers in Phoenix - Bob's Motorcycle Parts. It was $250... I didn't buy it in the end so might be worth checking to see if they still have it.
Thanks for the info. I'll call them on Tuesday. Cheapest i'm finding on ebay is between 500/600. Then add labor. Paying almost a grand in repairs on a bike that i've had for 2 months and paid 2400 for its is a bit painful. Lol

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
385 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
So I just heard from the shop. The final drive failed. Now to look for a replacement for a decent price.
I hope your shop is trustworthy and competent. Nonetheless, I would ask to see the damage, take pictures and ask for the old unit back. It would be worth getting an opinion as to why drive parts are failing so quickly and how they would prevent in the future. You should be using a 60% moly grease on all splines.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I seriously would think it is the coupler not the rear end and that is less then $20 to buy and even my wife could change it out, it is very simple. The only thing is if the coupler quit and it damaged the input shaft splines for the rear end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So long story short. The former owner didn't lubricate the splines on the final drive. Basically everything was dried up. The coupler was shot as well as the spline from the final drive. Installed new final drive and coupler, lubricated everything and it's now running like a champ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts